Verderers Trail

chayanderson
chayanderson Posts: 7
Has anyone done verderers trail in the forest of dean with their kids. Is there a way of missing out the last section (dragons tail)? I think my son (6 1/2 years old) could do the rest of it, but the last section might be a bit too much.

Thanks in advance for any help. Bonus points for a trail / route map.

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I can't imagine taking my 5 & 7 yos on alot of it - there are steep uphills, steep downhills and at 7 miles its at the limit of (what I consider to be) their endurance. My two struggle with their confidence and brakes on downhills (on roads) and they both ride single speeds so climbing would be difficult. They ride 18" wheel bikes too, I think I'd be happier once they're on 24" wheeled bikes with gears and enough hand strength to use the brakes effectively.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I took my 2 children on it last summer when we camped nearby, and they were aged 7 & 6 at the time. They were both riding 24" wheel MTBs (upgraded Specialized Hotrocks) and they have good technical skills for their age. Distance-wise it was about right, as they have done similar or longer at other trail centres. There is plenty of climbing but we took it steady (apart from my son who prefers climbing over descending and raced up every hill) and had a few snack stops. Technically they were fine apart from the last section. My son (aged 7) got over confident and crashed just before the red split bit. He wasn't hurt but he got over confident, which is more the danger than the difficulty of the trail.

I thought it was a top-end blue to be honest, especially the last section.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Thanks for your help. My sone has a Islabike 20 large (7 speed) I ridden the train and know there are ways to short cut some of the climbs. I just want to know if anyone knew how to mis the last section. I think it is red and called dragons tail.

Thanks
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Thanks for your help. My sone has a Islabike 20 large (7 speed) I ridden the train and know there are ways to short cut some of the climbs. I just want to know if anyone knew how to mis the last section. I think it is red and called dragons tail.

Thanks

When I was there last summer there was a split half way down the final descent. Left was blue and right was red. We went blue, though the final corkscrew drop was pretty dicy still.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • eskay
    eskay Posts: 57
    My boys were 9 & 11 when they rode it last year, they both have reasonably good bike skills.