Carbon vs Alu

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
In the market for a new bike

Has to be 1k ....bike to work cyclescheme

iv got a giant defy 3 but looking to get something with a better spec.....just joined a club and looking to take part in races etc.

Do i go for carbon (ribble type) with a lower spec or Alu with a higher spec?

Advice please?

Cheers

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I've always worked to the theory that you get the best frame you can, as you can always upgrade the groupset/wheels etc later on. These days lower end groupsets tend to be very good anyway, so only the wheelset might hold you back at this budget.

It may be that alu will suit anyway however, there are plenty of Cannondale fans on this forum it seems and the Synapse 105 seems right on budget (and a very good groupset indeed). Perhaps a search for reviews of this frameset/bike will help you
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    My LBS allowed me to 'pay the extra' on the bike to work scheme, so I went for the £1250 Cube Agree GTC (carbon frame, fully Tiagra components). As mentioned above, it's better to upgrade the components rather than the frame.

Beautiful bike, the carbon soaks up all the bumps in the road. May be a little too 'neutral' for the experienced roadie, but for a beginner roadie like myself it's superb.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Whichever bike you're most comfortable on.

In my first three years of racing all the points I took were on my Alu frame, none on the much better carbon framed bike. It just came down to the fact that I raced more on the cheaper bike.

At the £1,000 mark I'd test ride a couple of bikes, make sure you include both a CAAD8 and a CAAD10 (the CAAD8 has a taller front end) and something carbon at the same price bracket then buy based on geometry and whichever bike makes you want to push yourself harder.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    If you like the Defy 3 that you currently have, why not upgrade the wheels and group? I presume that this is allowed on the cycle to work scheme?
    For £1000 you could get a Ultegra (or equivalent) and a nice set of wheels.
  • mcowan77
    Was in lbs today

Wot do you think of this

Cube peloton race for 1079

Or do I go for a full carbon ribble

Decisions?
  • IanREmery
    I've heard lots of good things about the peloton race (and having a Cube roadbike myself I can vouch for the name), never tried the Ribble. Can you test ride them both, see which one feels best?
  • Not exactly an upgrade from your Giant though
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mcowan77
    Back to lbs today

Had a look at the cube agree gtc

I can get the agree gtc for 1250

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-agr ... 73256.html

Or the next one up

Agree gtc pro for 1399

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-agr ... 73259.html

Wot U think?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That one bike is 149 sheckels more than the other. And one has 105 and the other has Tiagra - just what you expect.

What's the real question? Both are greater than 1000£ so you're over your RTW threshold.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • mcowan77
    I can add to it
  • IanREmery
    If you can afford the extra 149 sheckels (nice phrase FransJacques!) then go for the GTC Pro. I've got the entry level GTC which is amazing for a first road bike but the nicer components on the Pro are well worth it.
  • Octopus1
    Octopus1 Posts: 56
    If you can top up then get a Cannondale Supersix. Superb bike and westbrook had then for £1160.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    With this you do not need to top up, it is more adapted to racing than your Defy and you will have a good idea of sizing:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p449 ... ITE-3-2012

Use the money you save on the Cannondale, Cube from above to upgrade the wheels/tyres.
  • mcowan77
    Pauls cycles charge an 11% admin fee for cyclescheme!!

What benefit would i get on a carbon bike vs alu... Im prepared to top up around the 400 mark
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    You need to go and ride some to find out really. I personally find it kills road buzz so more comfortable on longer rides and it makes hills easier. Frame is only one factor though, if you buy a carbon frame with budget wheels the gains will be far less.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • mcowan77
    Cheers folks

Big decision....don't intend buying again for a good few yrs