GPS or sensor cycle computer up to £150

Brown sauce
Brown sauce Posts: 111
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I need some help. I want to spend up to £150 and am confused as to which computer to buy. Was going to go for a garmin 500 till I started reading reviews about how it can be inaccurate with current speed and distance.

The main bits I'm after are

Altitude details
Max speed, distance travelled

Then I looked at vdo mc 2.0 which measures altitude by pressing a button so it can read cureent air pressure.

But then I quite liked the idea of the garmin being GPS so I could track my ride.

Has anyone had any experience with these or any other similar devices they would recommend.

Thanks
2015 Stanton Switchback
1993 Kona Lavadome

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Garmin's are the best and if your worried get a cadence / speed sensor....problem solved :D
  • Brown sauce
    Yeah it's the old problem of reading 10 good reviews and then 1 bad review sways your decision
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I love my garmin 200. Don't need anymore info than it shows. The only downside is it has no altimeter, so you only get accurate elevation data when its uploaded to garminconnect, but it doesn't bother me as I don't need to know it when I'm riding! Go for the 500 if you want Ant+, i.e. heart rate and cadence sensors.
  • Another vote for the garmin 200, excellent piece of kit
  • Brown sauce
    I went for the 500. Have been out for a 10 mile ride with it. Really good. loads of info. I know what you guys mean about not needing the info. But I love the info. Going to get the cadence sensor at some point so I can see extra info. Not that I really need it but I like to look.

One of the best bits was when I plugged it in when I got home to Garmin Connect. The info is really good to see. Mapped out etc. Looking forward to when I start riding to work and comparing my times on the same route and looking at where I could push a bit more.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    One of the best bits was when I plugged it in when I got home to Garmin Connect. The info is really good to see. Mapped out etc. Looking forward to when I start riding to work and comparing my times on the same route and looking at where I could push a bit more.

I've just got a Forerunner 410 and find Garmon Connect OK, Strava is much more useful though, I feel.
  • Brown sauce
    I read about some 3rd party apps for it, will check Strava out. Cheers
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Garmin connect is good for setting goals, courses etc but I love using strava to compare! Its definitely worth a look!
  • spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    does anyone know if you can use the garmin fortrex with strava
    sight 3 se
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    does anyone know if you can use the garmin fortrex with strava

Read this
  • spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    cheers mate
    sight 3 se