2 sets of wheels

mrolympia
mrolympia Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have my stock wheels which I've had for a year and done 15k miles on them. I have bought a new set of wheels that I want to use for summer/good days and use my stock wheels for Winter/bad days.
I currently have Shimano HG 4600 12-28t cassette and I want to put Shimano Ultegra 6700 12-25 (as they don't do a 12-28t) on my new wheels.

Now I've been told that if you buy a new cassette you should buy a new chain, also because one is 12-28t and the other is 12-25t I'm guessing the chain length would be different, or will the chain be ok?
I want to swap the wheels depending on the day/time of year without messing about swapping out chains.

Will it work if I have a different cassettes on each wheelset? how do others do it?

Thanks
Daz

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you'd be ok with slightly different cassettes.

15000 miles in a year ? Is that right ? If the chain has stretched and worn (and it should have worn out after that mileage) then you will get problems changing. If you replace your chain before it wears excessively then it won't wear the chainrings and cassette too much.

I'd definitely try the other block and see how you go. If the gears are funny - you might need a new chain.
  • Thanks for the reply, sorry missed the decimal point lol 1.5k miles

The other worry is that I have Di2 gears so don't know if they will have to be re-tuned if I change the cassette.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Ultegra do come in 11/28 though.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • If you are running a compact you shouldn't need to 're-tune' your Di2
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    (I don't have Di2 - regular ultegra 6700)

I have several sets of wheels with a mix of cassettes - 11-25 and 11-28 - I have no issues with chain length as I swap between them.
  • by marcusjb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 pm

(I don't have Di2 - regular ultegra 6700)

I have several sets of wheels with a mix of cassettes - 11-25 and 11-28 - I have no issues with chain length as I swap between them.

Perfect that's the answer I was looking for - thanks for your help