Mounting child seat to seat post

dombat
dombat Posts: 96
edited November 2014 in Family & kids cycling forum
Most child seat brackets seem to mount to the seattube, but the bike I'm thinking of getting on the bike to work scheme is a On-One Fat Bike, which has no room on the seattube. Would it be safe to mount the bracket to the seat post itself?

I'm thinking it wont as the seat post is light aluminum and not very strong (I've snapped some in my time). I wonder if a steel seat post is available?

The bike
CBOOFATX5_P3.jpg

How seats usually fit
hamax-sleepy-child-seat-399-75.jpg

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    generally the weight limit for seatpost mounting is about 15kg.
  • dombat
    Mmm, reading the seat instructions http://www.hamax.com/content/download/4 ... 0small.pdf it says no.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    fit a rack and a rackmount child seat???
  • dombat
    Not sure it will fit with a "mud/snow" bike with 4inch tyres. There are some racks available in America so will look into that.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Steel seatposts area available but, just weighing in to add my support to strongly advise to not mount to the seat post only.

Unlike a tagalong, a bike seat takes the whole force onto that one point and, although the weight is not great, with that sort of leverage the post could easily shear through.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • I've got an on one fatty, and have a yepp mini mounted up front on the bars. Works very well. Only downside is a reduction in turning circle due to the footrest hitting the frame when turning hard.
    I think it will be outgrown soon, so I'm looking for a rear mount too.
    Did the original poster ever find a solution?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Potato22 wrote:
    Did the original poster ever find a solution?
    My solution is to get a trailer. Better in every respect in my experience.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • In case anyone else is interested, I found a child seat to fit my on-one fatty. It's a bobike maxi classic, and the adaptor it comes with fits like a glove. I have the large frame, but there is some space so I think it would fit all sizes.
    Looking at the photos, I think I have the spoke / wheel protectors the wrong way around, but I think they work better as I have them anyway.
    It was a drizzly day today, and the seat had the added benefit of keeping my bum dry. There's not much scope for rear mudguards with the seat attached.

Here are some photos of it fitted. My son loves it BTW.

IMAG0133_1_zps836eea40.jpg
    IMAG0132_zps8b963120.jpg
    IMAG0129_zps23622e19.jpg
    IMAG0128_1_zps64cd3380.jpg