Bike bag recommendations

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I think, one way or another, I'm going to need a bike bag when I do London-2-Edinburgh - I'm still trying to figure out the best logistics but I think it's going to involve the train at some point - probably Edinburgh to London for the start.

Anybody any recommendations for a good bag that's reasonably priced?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Have you thought about hiring?

Bike Box Alan are supposed to be highly regarded but expensive to buy. You can hire them direct though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have you thought about renting one from a shop? It's cost me £40 or so to rent a Bike Box Alan
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    Hmmm - that's an interesting idea. What are trains like about bike boxes? It's also just the logistics of getting a box and getting it back to wherever it came from. I'd imagine it would cost more than £40 in postage.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    I've never needed a bag to take my bike on the train. Just book a space for it if necessary.
  • cjcp
    +1 to the above - only ever needed to book a space in the carriage. You're not supposed to lock them, but I'd lock the Volagi up. And have hungry Alsatians guard it.

What about DHL? Maybe make enquiries through work.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    And I'd put lagging around the frame, just in case the bike next to you isn't handled with as much care.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • meanredspider
    Bloody train journey has got about 3 changes and costs more than flying - I'm beginning to remember why I don't go by train... :roll:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    On east coast Edinburgh London trains bikes go in guards van see. http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our ... ts/cycles/ if I remember correctly you cannot lock them, which runs the risk of someone else on
    unloading it if the guard is not paying attention, although they would have to have reason to be in the guards van in the first place so it should be safe enough. As bike is unlocked you will not be insured. The guards van is next to first class, if you book in advance and don't go for peak train a first class upgrade isn't much and you could stay near the guards van to keep,an eye out.

If you use a bike bag or box you can keep it with you but must be smaller than 90x70x30cm see http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our ... s/luggage/
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I'm just back from Spain. I have a soft shell bag from Teepee. Not ideal to lug around cos it doesn't have wheels and a full suspension bike is pretty heavy but then again I didn't need to carry it far

31-03-2013_01.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    @MB-idle if I didn't know better i'd say that's a goddamn MTB :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    itboffin wrote:
    @MB-idle if I didn't know better i'd say that's a goddamn MTB :evil:

@IBoffin sure is!
    FCN = 4
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bloody train journey has got about 3 changes and costs more than flying - I'm beginning to remember why I don't go by train... :roll:

They've got trains direct from Edinburgh to London these days. I think they introduced the service in the 1890s :lol:

I don't think you'll have any bother with the East coast anyway. They have proper luggage vans so I'd imagine you just need to let them know. TBH, I don't think you'd need a bag for that - just a bit of frame protection. The luggage vans have bike racks irrc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    They've got trains direct from Edinburgh to London these days. I think they introduced the service in the 1890s :lol: .

That's good - except I'm trying to get to Cambridge :wink:
    Rolf F wrote:
    I don't think you'll have any bother with the East coast anyway. They have proper luggage vans so I'd imagine you just need to let them know. TBH, I don't think you'd need a bag for that - just a bit of frame protection. The luggage vans have bike racks irrc.

The first train I tried didn't have any bike spaces to Peterborough. The later train does but now I'm trying to find out if a bike bag can just go as oversized baggage as I want to get there earlier. Seriously, planes are SOOOO much easier
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The first train I tried didn't have any bike spaces to Peterborough. The later train does but now I'm trying to find out if a bike bag can just go as oversized baggage as I want to get there earlier. Seriously, planes are SOOOO much easier

Much as it pains me to suggest it, what about flying to Stansted?

I guess a rigid box might be OK on the trains that have no bike space. There were only about 4 racks I think when I used it but the rest of the van was mostly empty and very large. But surely less faff to get a train which does have space and not carry the box at all? Peterborough to Cambridge ought to be OK - it's not as though anyone actually uses that route :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    Much as it pains me to suggest it, what about flying to Stansted?

I guess a rigid box might be OK on the trains that have no bike space. There were only about 4 racks I think when I used it but the rest of the van was mostly empty and very large. But surely less faff to get a train which does have space and not carry the box at all? Peterborough to Cambridge ought to be OK - it's not as though anyone actually uses that route :lol:

I know - I've booked the train now (£60 first class as per recco above) but flying would have been a lot simpler. Frustratingly my Volagi box is already down south (shipped my Cayo in it for a friend to borrow). Took it on a plane and it was so easy (especially leaving from Inverness where it's 50 feet from the car park to the oversize bag drop).

My folks are going to pick me up from P'boro

So, I'm back to needing a bike bag recco, please. It will come in useful for other trips.