Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Chain ring swap

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,845
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I am looking at replacing an existing standard chainset with a compact can i just get a couple of suitable chain rings ie 50 and 34 with 110 bcd and just reposition the front mech etc. Saves major strip down from what i can see.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• defycomp2defycomp2 Posts: 252
    Don't think so. A standard chainset is 130mm so you would need adapters to take 110 chainrings, if any exist. Easiest to get a non groupset chainset from Ribble or CRC .
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • k-dogk-dog Posts: 1,652
    ^that's right. The rings are different sizes (unless you have the new DuraAce) so you need to replace the whole chainset - BB will be fine and you'll have to just move the front derailleur down a bit.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,569
    FWIW, unless you do lots of climbing you might want to consider a 36 tooth inner ring instead of a 34. You'll most likely move up to the 36 anyway as you get stronger.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,845
    Thanks Folks, Looks like i will be ordering from ribble along with a new BB as mine started to creak on the way home from work last night. Still looking at 50 / 34 as its going to my commute bike and after a 12 hour day on my feet it will help.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.