Goodridge hoses

Roller1990
Roller1990 Posts: 39
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive got a set of avid code r brakes and i want to change the brake hose to braided i have already bought the hose and bleed kit but im not sure what hose connectors i need or if i even need any because ive heard some are reusable.

They are 2012 avids could someone please help

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it'll void your warranty and you'll need it when the avids explode.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Waste of time, money and energy. Will make no difference except to add weight.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It'll look nice though.

That said I'd bin them for some shimanos.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm gonna side with those two here i'm afraid, it won't make your brakes any better and might make them worse if you aren't very good at bleeding them.
  • mini-eggs
    mini-eggs Posts: 811
    I've got to agree with everybody....and talking from experience....

I used to run Avid Juicy with Goodridge hoses.
    + It looks pretty and matched my colour scheme
    - didn't really do anything performance wise that I noticed
    - added a bit of weight
    - took a bit of time to cut, fit etc.........for no gains

Now I've got the latest Shimano XT ice tech brakes, with standard hoses and find them better in every way than my avids.
    Follow me on....Google+
    Shop here....eBay Shop
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On topic, you need Avid inserts and Olives and also new nuts if you want to keep the original hoses, all Avids are the same.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ive bought the hoses simply for looks im not after any performance gain yes it is a lot of money for what its worth them hoses are not cheap for what they are but they look alot better, im quite confident with bleeding ive never bled push bike brakes but ive bled motorbike and car brakes on numerous occasions, there should be instructions with the bleed kit anyways.

As for weight we are probably talking milli grams it wont be much after all its going on a kona stinky and ive herd they are fairly heavy bikes but im no pro so it should be fine.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bit more than milligrams.....but yes a Stinky is a fairly heavy bike anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I put Goodridge on my Canyon when I fell off and ripped the rear hose out of the caliper banjo bolt and got a great deal on them at Chain Reaction. Do they make any difference no but I do like the fact they are very flexible and dont rub the frame as much. I weighed them before I fitted and they were a whole mahoosive 95 grams heavier than the original Shimano hoses. I have since made sure I have gone for a good shit before each ride to make up the difference.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap