Sense over speed?

wellbeloved747
wellbeloved747 Posts: 406
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
My summer bike will be rolling out the shed in the next week or so (weather permitting!!!) i just need a wheel set!

The original intention was to pick up a carbon 38mm set for about £400 (chinese carbon or some planet x (well they are the same))

but this changed a my club meeting when this guy was talking about how how he was out or his carbon Trek by my house and his rear Zipp 404 caught a pothole and completely shredded the well and it is now un useable (it is completely wrecked) His wife bought them approximately 1 year ago as a birthday gift for £2,000!!!

Now about my self i am a pretty aggressive sprint rider and i really go through wheel (and the roads in Devon are Terrible!!) I crashed on thursday so require a new front, a month ago i caught a pothole on the same bike so it had a new rear. luckily that is my winter bike and i only use cheaper second hand wheels!

Last year on my summer bike i had some aero aluminium (Vuelta) and after a long summer the brake surface hand gone and i must have had every spoke replaced!!

So after all of this i have decided spending a lot on Carbon/Expensive rims is pointless for me! so i have decide that about £100 is a reasonable budget as i will be replacing them very soon!
i still have access to Zipp 303s to take abroad.
I also used latex tubes on all of my bike.
My bike currentky weighs 5.0kg and these will push it over the legal weight!

So after all of that the question is what set? the current contenders are!

Shimano R501 (Rose bikes) £68.51
Ive heard these are very durable but very basic better for winter training

Shimano RS10 (Rose Bikes) £94.53
Best contender, very good from what have heard

Mavic Askium Race (Acycles) £130.08
Not much experience with mavic. but everyone raves about their top end wheels

Falcrum racing 7 (Jejamescycles) £109.99
Nothing at all!

Any advice is appreciated! and any suggestions!

Many thanks,

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    So you're going to ride your nice bike on crap wheels? Seems bad. I take my RZRs out at every opportunity, be rude not to.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I don't get it. You were going to spend £400 on some nice wheels, and now have decided to spend £100 on some not-so-nice wheels.

Why not spend the original £400 but get something more suitable for your needs??.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • I understand what you mean but im pretty sure that they would get wrecked eventually? otherwise what would you suggest?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Its often said but go for some handbuilts. If you damage them - then you can replace a rim or spoke, rather than a whole new wheel.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The obvious solution for you would be to speak to Wheelsmith who can run through your needs and come up with a solution; one which can be repaired if you continue to crash into things! I would suggest that £100 wheels are not your answer though, nor to be fair would Wheelsmith if you are sticking to that budget.

Peter
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    If you hit potholes a lot I suggest you spend the £400 on an eye test :wink:
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    ok, what would you suggest?

As Northpole suggests - run through your requirements with a wheel builder such as Wheelsmith. There are plenty around - Just Riding Along, Strada, Wheelsmith, Harry Rowland, Pete Matthews. The ideal is to find someone local though - no idea who these guys are but try a search on here. Mayb e our resident wheel guru 'Ugo' can point you in the right direction...

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/7.html
  • Neale1978
    Neale1978 Posts: 484
    For what its worth ive had a set of fulcrum 7's for around 6 months and i ride them almost every day in any weather. I hit one pothole in the dark that was full of water and it was bad enough to give me a flat & move the bars downward slightly in the stem. The wheel only ended up with a very slight buckle and they are still fine. Sweet for the low price IMO even though sure, they are not as light as others

There seems to be a lot of wheel snobs around but there are wheelsets out that are good enough esp for the price. I'd love a set of lighter wheels but i just cant afford any so its just a case of getting on with it

Are the Mavic Aksium Race available with a Campag freehub?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    speak to these guys http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/ and then your local optician...

Could build up Hope Pro hubs onto OpenPro rims for < 400 (depending on spoke choice) but I'm sure the above guys will have some good recommendations.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Sounds more like you need to be a bit more aware of the road, learn to bunny hop, and clean the wheels and brakes more often.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    LegendLust wrote:
    If you hit potholes a lot I suggest you spend the £400 on an eye test :wink:

LOL - spot on.
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Not meaning to sound a gimp but it just seems to me you should pay attention to where you're going a little more and your wheels will live longer.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    My summer bike will be rolling out the shed in the next week or so (weather permitting!!!) i just need a wheel set!

The original intention was to pick up a carbon 38mm set for about £400 (chinese carbon or some planet x (well they are the same))

but this changed a my club meeting when this guy was talking about how how he was out or his carbon Trek by my house and his rear Zipp 404 caught a pothole and completely shredded the well and it is now un useable (it is completely wrecked) His wife bought them approximately 1 year ago as a birthday gift for £2,000!!!

Now about my self i am a pretty aggressive sprint rider and i really go through wheel (and the roads in Devon are Terrible!!) I crashed on thursday so require a new front, a month ago i caught a pothole on the same bike so it had a new rear. luckily that is my winter bike and i only use cheaper second hand wheels!

Last year on my summer bike i had some aero aluminium (Vuelta) and after a long summer the brake surface hand gone and i must have had every spoke replaced!!

So after all of this i have decided spending a lot on Carbon/Expensive rims is pointless for me! so i have decide that about £100 is a reasonable budget as i will be replacing them very soon!
    i still have access to Zipp 303s to take abroad.
    I also used latex tubes on all of my bike.
    My bike currentky weighs 5.0kg and these will push it over the legal weight!

So after all of that the question is what set? the current contenders are!

Shimano R501 (Rose bikes) £68.51
    Ive heard these are very durable but very basic better for winter training

Shimano RS10 (Rose Bikes) £94.53
    Best contender, very good from what have heard

Mavic Askium Race (Acycles) £130.08
    Not much experience with mavic. but everyone raves about their top end wheels

Falcrum racing 7 (Jejamescycles) £109.99
    Nothing at all!

Any advice is appreciated! and any suggestions!

Many thanks,

Some advice. Don't buy 2nd hand wheels, lay off the brakes a bit more and look where you're going
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What is a pretty aggressive sprint rider ? I dont see why you'd be trashing wheels quite so much.
    Your £100 pair doesnt sound the best idea - they won't last very well.

Strong handbuilts and wider tyres might be better for you - and not ploughing through every pothole you see. Or dont.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    The only thing cheap wheels will do is guarantee that they need replacing, particularly given your apparent propensity for trashing wheels!

Buy some decent wheels that you'll enjoy riding, and perhaps ask yourself what you've been doing wrong to smash your way through so many wheels because it sure isn't typical!
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Racing 7s. Ride em, trash em and chuck em.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mhj999
    mhj999 Posts: 122
    get the decent wheels and if you trash them or crash then claim on the insurance?
    Sensa Giulia 105
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Dont you have a contract with Sky? Would you not be able to get anything through them?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875