Wilier buying opinion/advice please

stevevaio
stevevaio Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Ive probably answered my own question but would appreciate an opinion anyone is prepared to offer on the subject. Ive visited my LBS and have set my heart of a fluro Izoard equipped with Campag Centaur. My soon to be winter bike has Centaur and Im more than pleased with the groupset, the Wilier would give me improved looks and less weight. The problem is Ive seen the same frame and wheels built up with an Athena groupset offered by a German company who are prepared to ship to the UK. Prices are LBS-£1850, the German company is asking 1800 Euros (+70 for shipping)
On paper its pretty obvious which is the better deal. The problem I have is balancing the finances against any potential warranty claim I may have with Wilier UK as they appear to only honour warranties on UK sourced bikes. I wouldnt want a trip to Germany if anything goes wrong.

Has anyone any experiance of buying from elsewhere in Europe or experiance in dealing with Wilier when things go wrong?

Any views or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    I've got an izoard, great choice.

If I was you I'd give Wilier UK a call and ask them...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Thanks for that, its always nice to hear someone who has got the same and is pleased.

The warranty section on the Wilier website clearly states they will only honour claims made on bikes purchased already built. Im guessing this is why UK dealers wont post them out.
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    I would think twice, athena is 11speed so parts etc aren't interchangeable with your current/winter bike which is always an advantage. Also consumables like a cassette cost 2-3 times for 11 speed vs 10 speed.

You have to ask if that's worth it?

I would also consider the veloce izoard which is £1500 (easily get 10% off that though), it is essentially identical to Centaur. Spend the extra cash on a set of lighter wheels, decent tyres (supplied tyres are truly dreadful) and a new saddle (which it needs) and you'll have a 7.5kg flying machine. The frame is great IMO.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Maybe mention your dilemna to your LBS and asking if they can do anything on the price? Difficult for them perhaps given the weak pound against the Euro, and there is a worthwhile premium for the peace of mind dealing locally and for warranty issues.

Centaur over Athena would not worry me at all, especially as Athena is no longer ultra-shift anyway. I personally think Centaur is a great looking groupset this year.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I would definitely try to cut a deal with your lbs, provided you are happy with the group set. If memory serves, Wilier UK distributor is a small outfit on the south coast who will most likely not be in the least bit interested in any problems you may have with a 'grey' import.

Peter
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    GGBiker wrote:
    I would think twice, athena is 11speed so parts etc aren't interchangeable with your current/winter bike which is always an advantage. Also consumables like a cassette cost 2-3 times for 11 speed vs 10 speed.

I would also consider the veloce izoard which is £1500 (easily get 10% off that though), it is essentially identical to Centaur. Spend the extra cash on a set of lighter wheels, decent tyres (supplied tyres are truly dreadful) and a new saddle (which it needs) and you'll have a 7.5kg flying machine. The frame is great IMO.
    I have Veloce Izoard. I think the above is good advice.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    Calpol wrote:
    GGBiker wrote:

I have Veloce Izoard. I think the above is good advice.

+1. Quite impressed with Veloce for what's considered to be a low-end Group-set.

I've got the fluoro 'Petacchi' frameset, it's bloody gorgeous. Very comfortable bike too.