Shimano Brake Shoes

trek1996
trek1996 Posts: 184
edited April 2013 in Workshop
Lost a brake shoe from my Shimano Dura Ace 7800 calliper.

I can't find replacement 7800 shoes but can purchase 7900 shoes, will these fit the 7800 calliper?

Thanks,
Andrew

Comments

• Yeah these will fit fine. Also, the updated shoes wil come with the improved R55C3 rather than the older C2 brakes pads.

The shoes are completely interchangeable as you could swap them out for third party products from Swiss Stop, etc.
  • trek1996
    Thanks for letting me know.

I did a bit of research on the Shimano website, which was good and it told me it was interchangeable, just ordered a pair.

I'll make sure they are tightened this time after I've changed the pads over for carbon ones.
  • If you've got a torque wrench, the correct torque is 6-8nm (if your calipers are shimano as well). If you don't, it's surprisingly tight!
  • trek1996
    Thanks for the info, have a mini torque wrench which is set at 6nm
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can use any Shimano-compatible brake pad in the pad holders. Many on here (including myself) prefer to use a third-party product, e.g. SwissStop or KoolStop.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • trek1996
    Yes I use SwissStop yellow pads.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ah you lost the whole thing? Pad holder and all?

That's a bugger.

As for torque; well, you'd have to really go at 'em to strip the threads. Just do 'em up tight.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • trek1996
    I must not have tightened it, which is strange as I tend to be heavy handed. Not funny seeing it fall off knowing I still had 9 miles to race and a wet roundabout to get around with only a back brake.