Campagnolo clothing sizing.

dowtcha
dowtcha Posts: 442
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Some great deals on campagnolo clothing at the moment. Has anybody bought any tops, jackets or bib shorts. I am 5 10 and 11.5 stone, chest is 39 inches. With jerseys and jackets I take I need to size up and get a large or do I need to go to a extra large, the sizing seems o be very small.

Comments

• Wacky Racer
    Wacky Racer Posts: 638
    Sizing is ridiculously small with Campagnolo clothing, I am a 40" chest and an XL jersey was just about right.
    Ridley Orion
  • dowtcha
    If your a XL then who the hell is a small. I could not resist the buy now urge so just bought one top to see what the fit is like, went with a large.
  • Wacky Racer
    The first Campagnolo jersey I bought was a large and it was a very tight fit. I could lose a few pounds but I'm a 32" waist and a 40" chest. If you read alot of the reviews you'll see that most people size up.
    Ridley Orion
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    I'm same as Wacky in waist/chest size and also have Campag jerseys in XL, the L was just a wee bit too small. Stocked up a fair bit recently too, apparently they are going to stop making clothing and with the resulting discounts due to it being end of line stuff it's actually good value kit imo. Unless you run Shimano I guess :wink:
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Methinks a lot of people are not entirely honest with themselves re:weight/chunkiness.....

I find the size to be just fine. I do notice lots of people riding bikes who look like they would be better employed on the door of their local nightclub.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    GGBiker wrote:
    Methinks a lot of people are not entirely honest with themselves re:weight/chunkiness.....

I find the size to be just fine. I do notice lots of people riding bikes who look like they would be better employed on the door of their local nightclub.

+1, I find the sizing to be about the same as assos, I wear a medium in the bib shorts and a small in the jerseys (although that is a nice tight aero fit admittedly). I'm 5' 9" with about a 30" waist and 37" chest. I imagine that really small climber types might even want something smaller than the small size, so I don't know what people are going on about when they say that the sizing is small.
  • Wacky Racer
    GGBiker wrote:

I thought I had confirmed my chest/waist, and hardly portly at 5' 9" and 11 stone wringing wet thanks. Just to add, my wife is a very slender size 8, that would be a genuine size 8, as opposed to the sort of people you presume "lots" to be, trying to cram a fat body into something too small. She had to trade up from a small to a medium. Check the reviews for Campagnolo, you'll find a number of buyers having to size up.

I guess there's always going to be some scrawny git who thinks otherwise ;)
    Ridley Orion
  • neeb
    I thought I had confirmed my chest/waist, and hardly portly at 5' 9" and 11 stone wringing wet thanks. Just to add, my wife is a very slender size 8, that would be a genuine size 8, as opposed to the sort of people you presume "lots" to be, trying to cram a fat body into something too small. She had to trade up from a small to a medium. Check the reviews for Campagnolo, you'll find a number of buyers having to size up.

I guess there's always going to be some scrawny git who thinks otherwise ;)
    Well, you're 7 kilos heavier than i am at the same height, that has to be going somewhere... Cycling a sport that favours "scrawny gits" (although I'd prefer the term "gracile" if you don't mind :wink: ), so it's hardly surprising that the clothing is sized apprpriately. Seriously, you should be fine in a medium or large unless you want a relaxed fit.

A lot of reviews are written by north americans, 'nuff said. As well as needing much larger sizes, they also often want to go yet another size up to avoid a skin-tight fit that might not be very flattering...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    there's been good deals on Campag clothing for the past two months actually, sizing wise well not as critical as Assos but on the slim side, being Italian and all. The last of the last of it, great shame. Always produced great kit imo ...
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Another thing to consider is body fat %. Fat is less than dense than muscle so a lean 70kg will be more compact than a flabby 70kg.
  • neeb
    I think a lot of it is also just down to what people are looking for in terms of fit. With most clothing, even if you want a slim fit, you are not looking for something that is actually skin-tight. In cycling however it is actually good to have a tight fit, not just for aero purposes but also because it helps sweat evaporation (the wicking fabric is in contact with the skin and there are no insulating air pockets). Most people buy shorts that are suitably skin-tight, but a lot of people buy jerseys that are a slightly looser fit because this is what they are used to wearing off the bike. These days I tend to go for a small size in jerseys, base layers, etc, although I will sometimes go up to a medium for things like winter jackets where you want more flexibility and/or insulation.
  • dowtcha
    Jersey arrived today and it was to snug for me, gone back to be replaced for a extra large. I might need to change my weighing scales also as mine must be broken.