Wobbly rear Cassette

temitchell1987
temitchell1987 Posts: 73
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I have mavic aksium wheels (shimano)

I am currently finding whether I use my 10 speed 105 or 10 speed ultegra rear cassette (with the other on my turbo wheel) that I am getting a really wobbly and therefore noisy rear cassette. Is there anything I can do or do I need to get a mechanic to have a look at it?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You got a 10mm spacer behind it?
  • I've got a spacer on, not sure of the size, I'll have a check, I thought it would be as straight forward as that.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    1mm - but we know what you mean ^^. :D

These generally come with a new 10spd cassette, but your LBS has probably got loads lying around as spares.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,535
    usually mavic hubs with shimano 10-speed need both the thick mavic spacer AND the 1mm shimano spacer

if either is missing, you'll have problems
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    1mm - but we know what you mean ^^. :D

These generally come with a new 10spd cassette, but your LBS has probably got loads lying around as spares.

Oops, was distracted when I wrote that. Been a long day in the saddle today, bit hooped. But yeah 1mm spacer behind the biggest ring before you put on the cassette. Have you ever removed the freehub? if the bearing is not seated properly it could cause a wobble.
  • Never removed the free hub. There's a spacer on but no 'mavic spacer' Will head to the shop Tuesday and get it dealt with, Lucky I have a spare set of wheel to ride on tomorrow because it was vexing me somewhat on the ride!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,535
    the two spacers are...

the mavic m10 hub spacer, it's 1.75mm thck

the shimano 10-speed spacer, it's 1mm thick
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks chaps, all dealt with, no rattles, just loads of wind to p"^s me off today!!