Marianne Vos wins Womens Tour of Flanders

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited April 2013 in Pro race
No surprise really but Marianne Vos won the Womens Tour of Flanders.She will be a legend in the cycling world by the time she eventually retires.
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Hmm What was the result again Ademort?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    No TV coverage to spoil apparently

Harmon suggesting it'll be on the UCI You Tube Channel later...,
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ademort
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmm What was the result again Ademort?

1 Marianne Vos

2 Ellen Van Dijk

3. Emma Johansson.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    In an interview afterwards Marianne said she will be taking part in a mountainbike race tomorrow the paasbike race in Nieuwkuijk. She,s amazing.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    It would have been nice to have seen just a sliver off her victory, shame.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    Here she is:

proxy_zps43ab2520.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Only her first win at Flanders. Not sure how many times she has raced it though.

Nice kit.

1. Marianne Vos (Ned) Rabobank-Liv/Giant, 3:33:21
    2. Ellen van Dijk (Ned) Specialized-lululemon, s.t.
    3. Emma Johnsson (Swe) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
    4. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Hitec Products UCK, s.t.
    5. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Rabobank-Liv/Giant, + 02:37
    6. Adrie Visser (Ned) Boels-Dolamns, s.t.
    7. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) Sengers, s.t.
    8. Loes Gunnewijk (Ned) ORICA-AIS, s.t.
    9. Lizzie Armitstead (GBr) Boels-Dolmans, + 02:39
    10. Kirsten Wild (Ned) Argos Shimano, + 04:33
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MTB races on the 1st and 7th. Mixing things up a bit to stay motivated.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited March 2013
    My three picks all made the podium. Nice to see Ellen van Dijk beating Emma Johansson in a sprint, amazing consistency from Johansson to be on the podium in every race she has started so far this year.

Good to see Armitstead up there in top 10, too.
  • frenchfighter
    Lovely photo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I love van Dijk's race face there. What an amazon! Never gives up attacking, chasing.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows

Thanks Frenchie! And great photo Le Commentateur. So glad Marianne broke her Flanders duck. Was the only big race she'd never won. Her palmares is effectively complete.
  • frenchfighter
    Just noticed Armitstead got 9th.
    Contador is the Greatest

• Thanks Frenchie! And great photo Le Commentateur. So glad Marianne broke her Flanders duck. Was the only big race she'd never won. Her palmares is effectively complete.

Looked like quite a big field as well.

Why don't the UCI just make it a requirement for running one of the big Pro Tour events that they have to have the women's race go through an hour before the men? Let's be honest, if you're watching on the roadside, I'd rather be watching riders than waiting to catch a mini-Babybel chucked at me by some bored looking person in the caravan.

I'm sure the answer will be money, but the prize money wouldn't be that massive, and the costs are basically fixed. The police, cameras, TV are already there.
  • ademort
    That would be boring. What you would see is Marianne Vos passing with a bunch behind her and then the mens race an hour later. It would get boring after a while.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • The 'kit' she's wearing is the World Cup leader's jersey, last seen in the men on Damiano Cunego circa 2004.

The birds still rock that sh*t you know...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    She's an amazing rider, but her dominance is not good for the sport.

Everybody loves women's cycling and wants to watch it (apparently), but if we could then we'd bitch and moan about it just like we do about the mens sport. As we saw at the Tour, one person winning at a canter is not good viewing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    They should pay her not to compete like they did with Coppi at the Giro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    ademort wrote:
    That would be boring. What you would see is Marianne Vos passing with a bunch behind her and then the mens race an hour later. It would get boring after a while.
    Ademort

Well, not in this race going by the photo - maybe a metre or 2 in it at the line ?
  • above_the_cows

Everybody loves women's cycling and wants to watch it (apparently), but if we could then we'd ***** and moan about it just like we do about the mens sport. As we saw at the Tour, one person winning at a canter is not good viewing.

This RVV edition went down to a sprint so she didn't just win it at a canter but I know what you mean about dominance. It would be nice to see a strength in depth in the women's peloton. It is hard to know whether Marianne is just a once in a generation super talent or that the woeful state of women's cycling is partly to blame as women aren't supported up through the ranks and then when they arrive as "pros" they find their teams folding etc. Right now you can't blame talented women for looking at the women's side of the sport and thinking 'b*gger that' I'll still ride my bike but I'm not putting up with all that insecurity.
  • frenchfighter
    I don't particularly like this graph but maybe some of you will:
    tumblr_mkjekjQvc21riicn3o2_1280.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Everybody loves women's cycling and wants to watch it (apparently), but if we could then we'd ***** and moan about it just like we do about the mens sport. As we saw at the Tour, one person winning at a canter is not good viewing.

This RVV edition went down to a sprint so she didn't just win it at a canter but I know what you mean about dominance. It would be nice to see a strength in depth in the women's peloton. It is hard to know whether Marianne is just a once in a generation super talent or that the woeful state of women's cycling is partly to blame as women aren't supported up through the ranks and then when they arrive as "pros" they find their teams folding etc. Right now you can't blame talented women for looking at the women's side of the sport and thinking 'b*gger that' I'll still ride my bike but I'm not putting up with all that insecurity.

She's definitely a once in a generation talent, in the men's sport we haven't seen a true all rounder like her (someone who could win any type of race and on any course) since Hinault, and even he was never as completely dominant as Vos is currently.

My concern is that her dominance will make it less likely for sponsors to invest in women's cycling, and that broadcasters and viewers are less likely to take an interest in what is starting to become quite a predictable sport, with a rather shallow pool of talent. All of which will just exacerbate the problems that women's cycling already has.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Vos_RvV_2013_zps86c9cbc8.jpg

Bloody awesome photo IMHO that is going on my desktop
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • above_the_cows
    She's definitely a once in a generation talent, in the men's sport we haven't seen a true all rounder like her (someone who could win any type of race and on any course) since Hinault, and even he was never as completely dominant as Vos is currently.

My concern is that her dominance will make it less likely for sponsors to invest in women's cycling, and that broadcasters and viewers are less likely to take an interest in what is starting to become quite a predictable sport, with a rather shallow pool of talent. All of which will just exacerbate the problems that women's cycling already has.

Good points. She is awesome but she has even less competition these days it seems. I remember one of the most fantastic mountain stages of any race I ever saw was a duel she had with Pooley at the Giro Donne, 2011 I think it was, Marianne would capitalize on her increased weight to pull out a gap to Pooley on the downhills and then Pooley would doggedly reel her back in and then attack her. Marianne finally got it in a sprint for the line. It was an epic duel of two different types of cyclists playing to their strengths.
  • My concern is that her dominance will make it less likely for sponsors to invest in women's cycling, and that broadcasters and viewers are less likely to take an interest in what is starting to become quite a predictable sport, with a rather shallow pool of talent. All of which will just exacerbate the problems that women's cycling already has.
    I asked her & her brother basically this question last year after the World Champs. Didn't get an answer. :D

It is the responsibility of teams and their sponsors to invest in and develop the talent with potential to beat her. With women's cycling there are probably a number of potential Vos's either undiscovered or underfunded and her dominance is partly a result of that, as much as her long term dedication and desire to train and race. Sponsors have to be persuaded to believe they can, perhaps long term, develop rivals and team tactics that will beat her. It's not her job to ease off and give space to others if they can't compete.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561

Without wanting or intending to detract from her incredible talent spread across all disciplines, I'm inclined to agree re Vos's dominance.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    UCI provide a 3.26 seconds summary of the race here
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!