MTB id and theft?

john10012
john10012 Posts: 47
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone tell me if mountain bikes and bikes in general have the equivalent of a VIN on a car?

And also is there some sort of crime database that people can check to make sure that a used bike they may be considering buying is not actually reported as stolen before they buy?

This would I'm sure be very useful information for a lot of people who may consider buying a used bike on eBay etc.

The only other way to try and ensure this is by asking if the seller has original receipts which they may not always keep even if they did buy the bike themselves and it is a genuine sale and transfer from one owner to a new owner.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most have a serial number.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Frame number, usually on the BB shell underneath.

The rest of the 90% of the value of the bike has no ID.

No national database.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    There are some registration schemes available, try the bike register
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Unfortunately it takes about 15 mins to strip a frame of all the easy to sell and valuable parts stick them on ebay and take frame to scrapyard. You can use Smartwater but not many people have an ultraviolet light. Best thing is buy the best security you can get, insure the bike and keep fingers crossed.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Also go for the UV pens on fork/rims etc

It doesn't show up so is unobtrusive but is better than nothing. However I don't know if it washes off etc?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It can be removed, yes.

Like smart water or microdot though, only any use once the bike is in the hands of the Police.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    UV pen fades. Fades even quicker if exposed to heat & sunlight.
    If using UV pen its best to remark it often.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Fair enough, didn't know if it worked, but thought it'd be worth a shout.

On a related issue, do they make some sort of GPS tracker you can drop inside your frame or something?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    compo wrote:
    Fair enough, didn't know if it worked, but thought it'd be worth a shout.

On a related issue, do they make some sort of GPS tracker you can drop inside your frame or something?
    Using search you might find some strange person posting some strange things up about these.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools