Well i,m no scientist BUT

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
Today at work it snowed again, i can,t believe it. Is it really Global warming.????
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    It's no longer called global warming, they now say 'climate change' after realising they were actually wrong. However it will never be called 'Unpredictable events we like to guess at' otherwise researchers may lose their grants. Damn this weather has got to me and made me cynical...I need a bike ride!
  • MattyDeez
    MattyDeez Posts: 54
    Global Warming and Climate Change are two different things but they are linked.

We are in a "global warming" effect, temperatures are increasing around the globe, but it's over years and loads of variables come into effect.

Climate change is what we're seeing now, its what the planet goes through every now and again but somehow the scientists and media are saying we're speeding it up because of this "global warming" caused by the amount of co2, methane etc.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Sorry about the snow yesterday, that was my fault.

I decided to go for a ride, so clearly 15 minutes out its going to start snowing.

Sorry again.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    ademort wrote:
    Today at work it snowed again, i can,t believe it. Is it really Global warming.????
    Ademort

Buy a bigger, thirstier car .. burn ya rubbish in the back garden .. Only purchase items with the most incredible packaging ...

And ... Book tickets for a Jumbo jet!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Philly8mt wrote:
    ademort wrote:
    Ademort

Buy a bigger, thirstier car .. burn ya rubbish in the back garden .. Only purchase items with the most incredible packaging ...

And ... Book tickets for a Jumbo jet!
    1 Car.....Check
    2 Burn Rubbish.....Check
    3 Check. Had to do 2 because of 3.
    4, Pass the holiday brochure......
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    It's no longer called global warming, they now say 'climate change' after realising they were actually wrong. However it will never be called 'Unpredictable events we like to guess at' otherwise researchers may lose their grants. Damn this weather has got to me and made me cynical...I need a bike ride!

The weather's got to you and made you start talking bollocks - global warming and climate change have been used interchangeably for decades and still are now.

Haven't you got a turbo to get the blood flowing to your brain again?
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    On radio 4 the other day they had someone retiring as "The man who makes predictions about the climate so we can introduce more stealth taxes" Saying we are all going to hell in an handcart, indeed I think he said it was going to be hotter than hell!
    The interviewer then quoted someone from MIT, must admit I'm always in awe of MIT people!
    Anyhow he said that basically the climate/ weather variations are so small it is impossible to base any form of trend on them.
    You hear so many different opinions often offered so dogmatically.....
    I don't know who to believe.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    ademort wrote:

Haven't you read the leaflet?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQlHaGhYoF0
  • ballysmate
    You hear so many different opinions often offered so dogmatically.....
    I don't know who to believe.

You can plot data onto a Cartesian graph to show any trend you want. The same data can produce anything from a zig zag line with huge peaks and troughs to an almost flat line. It all depends on the scale of the co-ordinates on the x y axes.
    People tend to produce 'trends' to either try to substantiate or disprove hypotheses, depending on their position.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... NTCMP=SRCH

Global warming may not necessarily mean warmer temps. Impact of changing wind patterns one of the latest suggestions
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    it's a bit like the old debate on depletion of the ozone layer

years of of resistance from industry and their paid politicians, and to this day widespread evasion and refusal to stop production and use of freon etc.

it's too late now for the poor sods living in patagonia and similar places, plus of course the plants and animals, they all get to live with the consequences of high uvb levels

increasing atmospheric CO2 (and other 'greenhouse gases') will increase the energy held in the atmosphere, aka global warming, that's physics, anyone who claims otherwise is delusional

whether that extra energy is causing climate change is debatable, it seems reasonable to assume it'll do something to the climate, natural variations in solar output cause changes too, as do volcanic eruptions, there's a lot of uncertainly and we're not clever enough to predict exactly what will happen and when - if we could, we'd also have really accurate long term weather forecasts

the problem is, if we wait until we can incontestably prove climate change, then as with ozone depletion it'll be too late to do anything about it

probably won't affect me, but it could be a real bummer for the future inhabitants
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Today at home it rained again, I can't believe it. Is it really Global warming?

No it's weather :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112
    sungod wrote:
    whether that extra energy is causing climate change is debatable, it seems reasonable to assume it'll do something to the climate, natural variations in solar output cause changes too, as do volcanic eruptions, there's a lot of uncertainly and we're not clever enough to predict exactly what will happen and when - if we could, we'd also have really accurate long term weather forecasts

the problem is, if we wait until we can incontestably prove climate change, then as with ozone depletion it'll be too late to do anything about it
    probably won't affect me, but it could be a real bummer for the future inhabitants

And that's why myself and countless academics are putting in years of our lives to understand this, while we still can. Even if we are wrong.
    3 years of undergrad, 1 year of MSc by research, 5 years of PhD research and a life time of postdoctoral research.
    Thousands of datasets. Thousands of locations. Masses of peer reviewed literature all with similar conclusions.
    Yet the woman behind the till at the local Tesco knows better than the so called scientists because, 'it was wet all summer'.

climate-change-infographic.png?w=630

:lol: Doesn't annoy me in the slightest, I promise!
  • ethanhayes
    ethanhayes Posts: 112
    But seriously, I wish the snow would bugger off!
  • ademort
    ethanhayes wrote:
    But seriously, I wish the snow would bugger off!

So do i. :D
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • finchy
    ethanhayes wrote:
    sungod wrote:

And that's why myself and countless academics are putting in years of our lives to understand this, while we still can. Even if we are wrong.
    3 years of undergrad, 1 year of MSc by research, 5 years of PhD research and a life time of postdoctoral research.
    Thousands of datasets. Thousands of locations. Masses of peer reviewed literature all with similar conclusions.
    Yet the woman behind the till at the local Tesco knows better than the so called scientists because, 'it was wet all summer'.

climate-change-infographic.png?w=630

:lol: Doesn't annoy me in the slightest, I promise!

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? You're clearly a part of the global conspiracy.
  • verylonglegs
    johnfinch wrote:

The weather's got to you and made you start talking **** - global warming and climate change have been used interchangeably for decades and still are now.

hehe, into the net you go...always get someone taking flippant comments too seriously. Sounds like you need to relax more than I do :wink: 40miles done today thankfully with the occasional sprinkling of hail :x I bought a turbo many years ago, two 20 mins uses later it was dispatched to the back of the garage never to be seen again, hateful devices.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    edited March 2013
    When the north Koreans launch a few nuclear misiles that'll warm things up a bit. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:

The weather's got to you and made you start talking **** - global warming and climate change have been used interchangeably for decades and still are now.

hehe, into the net you go...always get someone taking flippant comments too seriously. Sounds like you need to relax more than I do :wink: 40miles done today thankfully with the occasional sprinkling of hail :x I bought a turbo many years ago, two 20 mins uses later it was dispatched to the back of the garage never to be seen again, hateful devices.

To be honest, I thought that someone like you wouldn't be making silly comments like that in all seriousness. My response wasn't meant to be particularly serious either - see the second sentence.
  • ademort
    It,s snowing here right now as i write this. Just cannot belive it. I,ve still got my Marathon studded winter tyres on my hybrid and it,s April tomorrow, effin unbelieveable.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • verylonglegs
    Just started to go stir crazy really, it's not so much the conditions themselves, more the fact they've been exactly the same every day for more than 2weeks now. Particularly that damned wind off the north sea, it's like groundhog day without the chance to do the silly bits. Slipping down to the smallest ring on a compact just to maintain 11mph on a flat road was a particular low point last week.

Oh, thought I'd add that I really did lose the plot and ordered a short sleeve jersey yesterday so that probably means another few weeks of cold weather!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    sungod wrote:
    ......the problem is, if we wait until we can incontestably prove climate change, then as with ozone depletion it'll be too late to do anything about it.....
    Heard last week - The conditions we get now are the consequences from 30+ years ago.
    If true, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    If it gets better.

One fact I do know. Whining about it won't alter anything one iota.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Climate is what you expect. Weather is what you get.

Climate change and global warming are two different things.

The greenhouse effect is natural. The anthropogenic greenhouse effect is not - human activity is altering levels of greenhouse gasses disproportionally to what we would expect due to natural variation.

Science invites, and encourages, us to prove it wrong. If people are so sure there is a conspiracy, produce some evidence based on more than anecdotal evidence.

I study both sides of the argument and I know which I find more convincing.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ademort wrote:
    Ademort

That's not climate - that's weather!

Anyway, look at it this way. We know that generally, traffic conditions are getting worse. More cars on the roads = more congestion which means, on our bikes, we get to work 20 seconds later than we otherwise would. Yet sometimes, there almost seems to be no traffic about at all and for no obvious reason.

Those quiet days don't mean that the long term increase of traffic isn't happening.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    A sentence that starts with 'well,' is a sentence that is likely to be rubbish.
  • It is like smoking, tobacco, and cancer

It is a secret that smoking is actually incredibly good for human health, and doesn't cause cancer. After all, we all know people who have smoked 40 a day but lived to 80, and people who have never smoked but developed cancer at aged 35. And of course, if the "science" says smoking is bad for us, it is good for them and their research grants (how many millions are raised each year by Cancer Research and other charities?) and for the government, who can stick massive stealth taxes on fags.

Same as climate change, CO2 and fuel duty,, right?
  • ballysmate

Well, I think you are talking sense. :!: :roll:
  • finchy
    Ballysmate wrote:

Well, that was unpredictable. :lol::lol: :P
  • ballysmate
    johnfinch wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Well, that was unpredictable. :lol::lol: :P

I know it was obvious, but he did 'lead with his chin' and I couldn't resist.
  • finchy
    Yeah, I wanted to make the same joke myself but you beat me to it.