Rear derailleur problem.

Peter91
Peter91 Posts: 16
edited March 2013 in Workshop
I've been out 3 times now on my new road bike (triban 5A), with 9 speed Shimano Sora shifters/derailleurs. All of the gear changes are absolutely fine except for gear 7 to gear 6 on the rear cassette, where the chain doesn't move sprocket and clicks along unhappily. Instead I have to downshift two and upshift one, which while not a huge problem isn't ideal. Adjusting the cable tension doesn't improve the matter unless its changed enough to affect the rest of the gear changes.

Is there anything else I can do to improve this, or is it just something to be expected/put up with?
Thanks

Comments

• Peter91
    Peter91 Posts: 16
    Will do, thanks.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    you should still be able to adjust it for correct shifting through the whole range

the bike is new, so wear won't be the cause, which leaves misalignment as the most likely cause

check the rear wheel is fully seated, open the quick release on the rear wheel, then put weight on the saddle while closing the qr

if it's still not right, the rear hanger may be slightly out of alignment - easy enough to fix, if the shop is nearby i'd call up and see if you can take it in and have them do it while you wait, takes about 10 minutes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny