Garmin Courses Issue

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
Aargh - frustrating time trying to load the 4 days navigation of the Rat Race Road Trip onto my Garmin

Each TCX file name on the Web starts Rat_Race_Road_Trip.. (Except one that starts Rat_Rat - a typo I guess)

Anyhow, I try loading them onto my Edge 800 and, as it converts them to .fit files, it truncates the file name so 3 of the files are called the same thing and I guess it overwrites two of them with the 3rd file. I've tried renaming the files that I've downloaded but obviously it's more subtle than that on TCX files because in the converted files the old name persists and, hence, the problem. Bizarrely, the typo file actually helps me.

Anybody know a solution to this problem?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I had this issue with a mate who was doing London - Paris. I ended up uploading the files to Bikeroutetoaster and then downloading them again so she could load them into her device. Seemed to solve the problem.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Do you still have the old Garmin Training Centre software? If so, import into there, rename (the course, not just the file) and the export.

Alternatively, I think you can just open the tcx file (wordpad works better than notepad), and manually edit the Name tag (within the top 10 rows).
    exercise.png
  • meanredspider
    TheStone wrote:
    Alternatively, I think you can just open the tcx file (wordpad works better than notepad), and manually edit the Name tag (within the top 10 rows).

Ooh - that sounds like a plan.

You'd have though Rat Race might have been aware of this issue and start each file with the stage number...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    That worked perfectly, thanks, Mr Stone!

Turns out that the titles were truncated in the "name" field already. All four days now loaded up!