1st Ride for 3 weeks today and.....

canny_lad
canny_lad Posts: 329
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I p#nct#red! Learnt a few things:

Glad I knew I could get the tyre off beforehand.
Carrying a pair of latex gloves was a top tip I got off BR as it was the back wheel and the chain was a bit sh!tty.
My Lezyne pressure drive pump works and pumped the tyre up with no problems.
It went with a fair bang!

Could have been worse as it was a lovely morning and the sun was out and It happened next to some houses in the middle of nowhere so I binned the gloves & knackered tube & didn't have to carry them back home. As I set off again I hooked up with a guy out on his single speed and we shared a very pleasant 10 miles before going our separate ways.

Looks like (deep breath) the weather may be on the turn as well - hope so.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Ah well all a learning experience.

Never heard or thought of carry latex gloves myself either until it was mentioned on BR & rather stupidly I use them all the time for bike work whilst at home :oops:

Hopefully it will warm up a bit & the sooner the better
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Canny lad wrote:
    I binned the gloves & knackered tube & didn't have to carry them back home

My tip is to not bin the tube. Do a puncture repair and stick it in your pocket on the off chance you puncture again.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Canny lad wrote:
    I p#nct#red! Learnt a few things:

Glad I knew I could get the tyre off beforehand.
    Carrying a pair of latex gloves was a top tip I got off BR as it was the back wheel and the chain was a bit sh!tty.
    My Lezyne pressure drive pump works and pumped the tyre up with no problems.
    It went with a fair bang!

Could have been worse as it was a lovely morning and the sun was out and It happened next to some houses in the middle of nowhere so I binned the gloves & knackered tube & didn't have to carry them back home. As I set off again I hooked up with a guy out on his single speed and we shared a very pleasant 10 miles before going our separate ways.

Looks like (deep breath) the weather may be on the turn as well - hope so.
    Nice one,least you know you can do repair and carry on.
    dont know where you are in shrops but still mid winter here :D .
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Fair point Phil but it was the crappy Chinese inner tube that came on the bike. The front tube failed after a fortnight (went down whilst the bike was in the garage) so it was good riddance to bad rubbish. Running Conti tubes now so will repair them if same happens again.

South Telford elderone, couple of miles from Ironbridge. Off out again today, sun's out again :D
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Canny lad wrote:
    Fair point Phil but it was the crappy Chinese inner tube that came on the bike. The front tube failed after a fortnight (went down whilst the bike was in the garage) so it was good riddance to bad rubbish. Running Conti tubes now so will repair them if same happens again.

South Telford elderone, couple of miles from Ironbridge. Off out again today, sun's out again :D
    Know it well,used to live randlay years ago and used jackfield for my slalom training site for years.Cloudy and 3 degrees here but still did a 25miler. :D
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori