Urgent! Freehub body help please!!

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just went to get my bike packed up ready for a trip to wales leaving tonight and found that the cassette moves about 1cm left and right!

After taking the cassette off I found that the movement was in the actual freehub body itself and I can pull it away from the hub which is obviously causing the movement in the cassette.

I don't much about the bodies and have never taken one apart, is this something I can quickly fix or am I just going to have to deal with the gears skipping all the time?

Hub is a Sun Ringle Demon Hub with a Maxle

Cheers everyone!
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure about your exact hub, most most systems have some form of a retaining bolt concentric with the axle, can you find anything you can fit a cone spanner onto or an allen key into?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Looking at
    http://www.sun-ringle.com/mtb/hubs/demon/
    do you have the black part that sticks out from the freehub, is it possible it is missing?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • trigger118
    trigger118 Posts: 191
    Thanks Beginner, you were right with your first post actually, I took it down the LBS and the mechanic there was actually the guy I bought the bike (Norco Shore 2) from so he did as you say, held one side still with the side of a cone spanner and then nipped up a lockring style nut on the other side.

Cheers for your help mate
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    No probs, glad it's sorted!