Simple poll.

Which is your favourite?

Ronde Van Vlaanderen or Paris-Roubaix?

If you could keep only one.
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    That's like asking to choose between your kids.
    Hmmm.... small cross one or stroppy older one?
    This week I'd choose de ronde, but next week PR.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    P-R. But only because I'm still bitter about the removal of the Muur.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • RVV mainly as I like hills.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    In next week's poll RichN95 will ask you to choose between your kids...b@stard!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    In next week's poll RichN95 will ask you to choose between your kids...b@stard!
    "Taffy's Choice" Unwatchable trauma.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    it is like saying to do you prefer the 1st half or 2nd half of a football match, you probably say 2nd half but you need the 1st half to set the 2nd up, Roubaix give those you missed out in Flanders a second shot, and the winner than chance to become a legend
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    slimreaper wrote:
    That's like asking to choose between your kids.
    Hmmm.... small cross one or stroppy older one?
    This week I'd choose de ronde, but next week PR.

This... Sorry Rich!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • PR all day of the week, more for the brutality of it, and the constant effort.

Whereas in RVV there is a chance for a rest from time to time, at the less crucial moments of PR you're still riding along, positioning yourself for the next cobbles.

I did used to live in Lens though so I'm biased
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Flanders. The bergs are more recognisable and are more obvious when they arrive. You only really get the kind of excited build up like you get for a proper berg with the Arenberg. The rest is more attritional in Roubaix. I like the natural highlightsthe bergs bring.
  • The bergs are more recognisable and are more obvious when they arrive. You only really get the kind of excited build up like you get for a proper berg with the Arenberg.

Maybe you just don't know the Roubaix route well enough! :D

But it has to be Roubaix. Lots of other races that are a bit like Flanders, nothing quite like Roubaix.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Roubaix is the better race in every parameter imo. Especially after the new Flanders course. Still a great race, mind you.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Roubaix, particularly since the revised RvV course still looks like it needs some work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Roubaix is the toughest, which gives it a certain cachet, but I get more excited about de Ronde. Don't ask me to explain why.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Roubaix is the toughest, which gives it a certain cachet, but I get more excited about de Ronde. Don't ask me to explain why.

Please explain why.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    rich this is a hacking question.

if I really,really had to maybe PR
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Please explain why.

OK smarty pants. Roubaix for the race, Flanders for the overall experience.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    De Ronde all the way. It normally is a more interesting race, Roubaix often mainly attrition, and there's more local passion and anticipation around De Ronde. A nation's biggest sporting event of the year. Paris-Roubaix isnt bad though :wink:
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    RVV....by half a wheel.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    FJS wrote:
    De Ronde all the way. It normally is a more interesting race, Roubaix often mainly attrition, and there's more local passion and anticipation around De Ronde. A nation's biggest sporting event of the year. Paris-Roubaix isnt bad though :wink:

I was going to say Roubaix, but on reading this post I don't know...

Just leaning toward Roubaix.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    patchy wrote:
    But only because I'm still bitter about the removal of the Muur.
    Two real Monuments so my vote is 50/50 except the current RVV has been watered down with no Muur and the smooth Koppenberg.
    Why don't they run over the Koppenberg on their way to the finish.
    Much as I like to see the Kruisberg in there (It's not that big) but then twice over the Hotond and the long "Free Wheel" down the new Kwaremont to Bercham with only the old Kwaremont and Paterberg and the 10 mile flat finish.

The P-R misses some hard Pave they used to move over near Lille Airport (I doubt they have had Tarmac) so I hope it rains with a North wind. :twisted:
    FJS wrote:
    and there's more local passion and anticipation around De Ronde. A nation's biggest sporting event of the year.
    Half Nation = Flanders and the other half in two weeks Wallonne
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

I was going to say Roubaix, but on reading this post I don't know...

Just leaning toward Roubaix.

Without wishing to incite the whole Belgium/Flanders, etc, thing - Would it swing things back to RVV to point out that the Belgians are who I think come to mind for most people when the topic of The Northen Classics are mentioned - not the French? The Belgians and the Sussexians - Wincanton Classic, innit!

Personally, much as I love PR, a race has got to have proper hills in it to get top slot...
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Since watching "a Sunday in hell", roubaix. It appeals to me in the same way ironman and ultra marathons do; it's not so much who's fastest, it's who's toughest.

Any race where 4 sky riders can lose out to one Belgian is a bit special. :wink:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    deejay wrote:
    patchy wrote:
    Two real Monuments so my vote is 50/50 except the current RVV has been watered down with no Muur and the smooth Koppenberg.
    Much as I like to see the Kruisberg in there (It's not that big) but then twice over the Hotond and the long "Free Wheel" down the new Kwaremont to Bercham with only the old Kwaremont and Paterberg and the 10 mile flat finish.

The P-R misses some hard Pave they used to move over near Lille Airport (I doubt they have had Tarmac) so I hope it rains with a North wind. :twisted:
    FJS wrote:
    and there's more local passion and anticipation around De Ronde. A nation's biggest sporting event of the year.
    many Flemish would consider Flanders a nation. Or, at least when England, Scotland and Wales are nations, they are too... Agree with the impact of taking De Muur out
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I voted Roubaix, just for that iconic helicopter shot of the trench cutting through the Arenberg forest, and the anticipation / excitement / fear as they approach that section. The most exciting 5 minutes of every cycling season, bar none.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Has Flanders always been before Roubaix on the calendar?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    I voted Roubaix, just for that iconic helicopter shot of the trench cutting through the Arenberg forest, and the anticipation / excitement / fear as they approach that section. The most exciting 5 minutes of every cycling season, bar none.

More exciting than the Pogio?
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    patchy wrote:

FJS wrote:
    many Flemish would consider Flanders a nation. Or, at least when England, Scotland and Wales are nations, they are too... Agree with the impact of taking De Muur out

It does have a very provincial feel to it, which can be a bit polarising.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    deejay wrote:
    smooth Koppenberg.

??? Looks pretty cobbled to me.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    afx237vi wrote:

More exciting than the Pogio?

Hell yeah. Dunno why but MSR has never really floated my boat.
  • After today's shower of a race I think PR has this in the bag