Slipping Chain

bigd0205
bigd0205 Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey

Looking for a bit of advice.

I bought a specialized rockhopper back in January and been out on it a handful of times though that's gonna change now the better weather should be coming in.

Anyways last twice I've been out on it the chain has slipped off 3 times during the course of my ride. It's a shimano acera system that's on it and its always the front gears where the chain is slipping. Any hints, tips or advice in how to get to grips with this would be appreciated.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Slipping or coming off?
  • bigd0205
    bigd0205 Posts: 3
    coming off, I've tried looking at the front derailleur alignment but it appears to be ok and not going beyond the first or last sprockets, always comes off to the inside never to the outside.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Adjust the indexing properly or wind the low stop in a little bit, try it out, and continue until the chain stops coming off or it won't shift into the low ring.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Might as well get a chain device / guide.
    road: carrera tdf ltd 2012
    xc: gt avalance 1.0 2008

love cycling :)
  • Chunkers1980
    No need. You have one, it is called a front mech
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No need. You have one, it is called a front mech. When it's adjusted properly
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    cooldad wrote:
    No need. There is one, it is called a front mech. When it's adjusted properly
    FTFY

He's not actually the OP, so FTFU
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Might have a worn chain/chainset, how old is the bike? Also is there any play in your bottom bracket? hold the pedal arms firmly and rock them side to side, is there play in the bearings?
  • Chunkers1980
    Did you read the post?
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Yes thank you, doesn't say if he bought it new or used?
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    OP set the chain so it is on the largest sprocket at the rear and smallest sprocket at the front then have a look at the gap between the chain and the front mech, it should be around 1mm. If not adjust the mech using the l-screw.

It's also worth having a look here - http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... djustments