specialized vs cube

acecase83
acecase83 Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in MTB general
I am looking to get a bike on the ride to work scheme and have come up with two bikes they are the specialized rockhopper comp 2013 or the cube acid 2013. Which is best or is there another out there better??

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Budge? Links? Type of riding?
  • about £800, i will be riding to work but also ride xc and trails
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rockhopper :D anyday
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Rockhopper :D anyday
    Why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Rockhopper :D anyday
    Well, no.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Absolutely no contest, the Cube pi$$es all over it.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    But, there are better bikes than both for 800 quid.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Acid's are £800 now??!
    Nicolai CC
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Cube.

Made the mistake for going for a Hardrock when I was an ultranoob. People on here told me not to get one as the specs on Specialized bikes especially Hardrocks and Rockhoppers is piss poor for the money.

2nd bike was a Cube Attention, 3rd an LTD Pro. Both blew away any Specialized in the same bracket. SLX and XT all round Vs Alivio? No contest!
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Spec wise the cube is the better bike but i would demo both if possible and go for what feels right . A friend of mine had a 2010 cube acid and did not get on with it at all he now rides a scott but buying without trying can be an expensive way to go as my mate discovered.
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    Cube all the way mate.

I also started as an ultra noob with a Specialized Hardrock and then after a year I switched to a Cube LTD Team and never looked back from the moment I first rode it. The difference was phenomenal (but probably mainly because the Cube was double the price of the Specialized, and used much better kit on it). If it hadn't been stolen then I wouldn't have been ready to get shot of it yet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to be clear, the Spesh's aren't bad bikes, they just cost roughly twice as much as their like for like competitors (at the Hardrock and Rockhopper level anyway).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Exactly but then at twice the price of a hardrock or rockhopper you can get some seriously sexy stuff so Specialized lose out again! I like the brand but the amount of profit they are raking in must be insane given their size and buying power compared to Cube.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I also bought a hardrock during ultranoob stage and although I could of got a better specced bike for the same amount, what’s done is done and I’m happy with it now. Glad I’ve got a strong and light frame to build up. The lifetime warranty is not to be laughed at either, although I might make mine void with longer travel forks! Like I said originally, I wasn’t keen and wanted to sell, but now I’ve kind of realised I haven’t got it so bad and doubt I’ll sell it.

At this level of bike I think Spesh just produce a really good frame with low end spec, it's the ratio of spec to frame you're looking at e.g £500 bike - £250 frame/£250 spec, £500 bike - £350 frame/£150 spec, so on, so on
  • I would argue that the at this price range (and as a first bike), you are unlikely to keep the frame and upgrade the parts.
    What is more likely to happen is that you will get 'the bug', keep the original bike as a rat-bike/spare and buy a more expensive/better bike.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I would argue that the at this price range (and as a first bike), you are unlikely to keep the frame and upgrade the parts.
    What is more likely to happen is that you will get 'the bug', keep the original bike as a rat-bike/spare and buy a more expensive/better bike.

Yeah I'd say that happens more often then not.
  • ga-rat
    ga-rat Posts: 29
    Have you had a look at the Scott scale? something a little different but very nice.