Hope Mono Mini

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
After abit of information on these breaks, they seem good, and im looking into buying a set for my new build, will more than likely be running 180mm floating rotors, but just wondering if these are worth the money, see a few sets on pink bike, one set for £100 for both front and rear.

Is there anything i should be weary of?
Has anyone on here as experience with them?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Half decent brakes but not upto modern standards set by shimano, and if second hand you likely have a few problems. Personally would go deore for similar money, not as bling looking but the performance is far superior.
  • Dawesy92
    Of the newer brakes from hope then, what would you suggest? kinda wanna go hope i think, if not ill be going AVID elixir R's like my other bike....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    None of them. Magura mt2 or shimano.
  • Dawesy92
    Why would you not use Hope or AVID just out of interest?
  • supersonic
    Because their are better alternatives.
  • lawman
    Because hope are too expensive for the under-par performance, paying for the name. Avid brakes are notoriously unreliable and IMO the lever shape is awful and they are a pain to bleed. Shimano are very powerful, can be got very cheap are very very reliable and a monkey could bleed them. No contest afaik. Of you can stretch your budget xt m785's look just as good as hope IMO and perform far better. I used to have mono minis and newer x2's and the xts outperform both in all areas.
  • supersonic
    I'd forget the floating rotors too.
  • Dawesy92
    Reading up on formula brakes, they seems good, but not sure what people on here think...
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Reading up on formula brakes, they seems good, but not sure what people on here think...

Do you really care? You have just ignored the last couple of reccomendations. Formula brakes seem to get decent reviews but without trying them I couldn't comment.

I have just moved to 2012 deore and am very pleased with them especially for the price
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    Depends which formulas your looking at. Generally they are pretty good. I've got a set of the Ones and think they're brilliant in terms of power and modulation. They're not cheap though and a bit of a faff to bleed. If the new generation of shimanos is had been around when I bought them I'd of been very tempted by them
  • lawman
    Formulas are reasonable but have the same bleed system as avid so are abit of a pain and they don't have great rotor clearance, so they tend to rub all the time and the pads don't last that long as a result. I'm also not a huge fan of the lever shape but they are better than the avids. We largely recommend shimano because they are the best in pretty much all respects and once you take into account how cheaply they can be had its pretty much a no brainer. Chain reaction have xt m795's for less £70 each end ATM, which for the performance they offer is outstanding value. IMO you'd be abit daft not to go for any of the new shimano brakes from deore upwards