GT avalanche 1.0 2008

Rippedabs123
Rippedabs123 Posts: 69
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have recently purchased a second hand GT avalanche 1.0 2008 and I am going to upgrade the bars to carbon riser, but the thing is I don't know what the stem clamp diameter is, any help?
Also can you please tell me what size the seat tube is so I can purchase a new seat collar as the one on the avalanche is rubbish?
road: carrera tdf ltd 2012
xc: gt avalance 1.0 2008

love cycling :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the exiating seatpost clamp, it will normally have marked inside the diameter, alternatively measure the circumference with a tape measure and divide by 3.14 to get the diameter, from memory though it's a 31.8mm

Bar clamp size will either be 25.4 or 31.8mm, easy enough to measure with a ruler!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I have recently purchased a second hand GT avalanche 1.0 2008 and I am going to upgrade the bars to carbon riser, but the thing is I don't know what the stem clamp diameter is, any help?
    Also can you please tell me what size the seat tube is so I can purchase a new seat collar as the one on the avalanche is rubbish?
      bars are 31.8 spec here
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... 9#features
      found this thread about the seat post
    viewtopic.php?p=17245420 27.2 post and 31.8 clamp apparently ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Awesome, thanks a million

• I have also just been out in the garage with the bike and have realised that the crank arms have play in them and the headset is quite grindy, does this mean i will need to replace the bottom bracket? And what will I need to do about the headset?

• The Rookie
    Headset - if it's loose ball, strip clean, and reassemble with fresh grease often does the job.

BB- maybe, more likley the cranks are loose on the axle as even a fairly graunchy BB doesn't usually have much play - unless it's making a right racket
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Right, so i dont need to get a new BB or headset?
    All I need to do is clean the headset and tighten up the BB, easy!!

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    And if you do need a new BB they can be had for £12.50 - Octalink ES25. I have a 2010 Avalanche - great bike.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Yes, i agree great bikes, and very light as well.
    Thanks for the BB advice, you wouldnt happen to know what kind of headset would fit the bike and/or where to get one from.

• The Rookie
    Check parktools for headset standards or how about a photo.....almost certainly extrenal or semi-integrated (also called zero stack and fitting is internal), most likely the latter.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Yes, i agree great bikes, and very light as well.
    Thanks for the BB advice, you wouldnt happen to know what kind of headset would fit the bike and/or where to get one from.

If its the same as my avalanche 3 from the same year then it's a semi integrated (zero stack) headset but mine is the loose ball type so it could just be a case of strip clean and regrease.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Mine is a ZS - I did look up the spec but I forget - and it has caged-ball bearings, so if you are cleaning and regreasing then I would replace the bearings as they are only a couple of quid from your LBS.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • It is a internal BB and I cleaned the headset today after riding croft trail in swindon thanks a loads for the advice guys. :D:D:D