Hardtail for someone 193cm tall,budget £850.

Robf43
Robf43 Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Everyone,

I know you get asked this question all the time but please help me before a blow my money on some noddy bike.

Im after some advice please, Im looking to buy a hardtail and have a budget of about £850.00, Im 193cm tall ! , I've looked in my local shop and liked the Trek Cobia Black(the guy in the shop said a 29er mite be a better option) ? any thoughts and advise would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob.

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    You are only an inch taller than me and Large frame bikes are fine for my height. Large being 19"/20" frames. Some manufactures make 21' and 22". Going for a 29er certainly would cater in favour of taller people due to the raised bb height and longer wheel base but there are definitely large frame 26" wheel options that im sure would be suitable. The Boardman MTB Team is a decent bike and dead on your budget and is available in large. I've seen a few links on the forum to Paulscycles also that have a few HTs on offer so you should check there.
  • Robf43
    Robf43 Posts: 9
    Cheers mate thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29ers don't have a raised BB height.....or often a longer wheelbase.

A frame fits or it does not, a different wheel size doesn't make a frame fit better, as 29er wheels and tyres are more expensive/heavier, for a fixed budget you'll always get worse VFM with a 29er than a 26er until you get to circa £2K.

Boardman or a Voodoo (both Halfords) are good at that price point, although the Cobia is pretty good at £850.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Robf43 wrote:
    Im after some advice please, Im looking to buy a hardtail and have a budget of about £850.00, Im 193cm tall ! , I've looked in my local shop and liked the Trek Cobia Black(the guy in the shop said a 29er mite be a better option) ? any thoughts and advise would be very much appreciated.
      a 26er within budget, 22'' frame, and a top spec
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p421 ... TD-SL-2012
      cube-ltd-sl-grey-metal-green-2012-b.jpg
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • dusk
      dusk Posts: 583
      I'm 6'5" and both my bikes are 19"
      YT Wicked 160 ltd
      Cotic BFe
      DMR Trailstar
      Canyon Roadlite
    • Robf43