A few questions about Mechanical Discs?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Theres no 2 ways about it but i will end up getting mechanical disc brakes on my bike rather than hydraulic ones. Ive been looking at hydraulic brakes and the price is WAY out of my range.

So are mechanical disc brakes just totally crap? Im assuming they are worse than hydraulic disc brakes because the price difference is monumental.

Bearing in mind that this will be my first time with disc brakes, how hard will it be to set up and adjust?

Does anyone know any good disc brake callipers that i could get for something like £40 for the pair? or is that too little money. I could delay the build a bit and save up more money for something better but i cant save up enough for hydros cause its just too much.

How much of a disadvantage do callipers have compared to hydros?

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good ones (BB7) are as expensive as decent hydraulics (Deore).
    Rubbish ones are rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Get looking on the classifieds. There are a couple of sets just over your budget there. If you keep checking there and eBay something will come up for £40.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • Newfish
    Newfish Posts: 121
    Pm me, I have a set of tektro dracos that I might part with for the right offer.

Edit: just been browsing the for sale section and found these. Much better than mine.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40092&t=12913285
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    Thanks guys.

@Newfish: I havent got any money right now as ive spent it all on other parts. I could get back to you though, thanks :)

@supersonic: My budget is £40 for the callipers and discs only if im going for mechanical disc brakes. Ive got plenty of outer and inner spares. Im not looking to spend more than £40 on the brakes. Hydro or Mechanical. Possibly £50 at a push.

Ill keep searching eBay and all the rest of it in the meantime :)
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    You can get a set of Avid BB7's here (regarded as the best as they have larger pads for more friction) for just £56 if you don't mind ordering from overseas, otherwise your looking to spend a lot of money. Ebay can also be scoured for second hand ones.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Cool, they look like the best bet considering they come with the discs and adaptors. Thanks for that :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    50 will get you hydros. The bb7 above are subject to vat and charges, so could end up being closer to 80 quid.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Chainreaction had some Shimano ones for about £17 a set (so £34 all in) a couple of weeks ago, m486s or something. No discs included though.

Edit: these ones http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=87334
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    supersonic wrote:
    50 will get you hydros. The bb7 above are subject to vat and charges, so could end up being closer to 80 quid.

Ordered mine a couple of months back for my summer bike (has bb5's on it at the moment). Wasn't charged any extra fees at all, not even custom ones. Guess i'm just lucky as ive ordered over 30 items from Hong Kong and never been charged on any of it.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thanks for that guys. Ill keep all of those in mind, and ill keep looking myself obviously. I just saw these on Amazon and they look like really good, 2 of these would sort me out :D I wont have to use my crappy discs either.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-SILVER- ... 21&sr=1-20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited March 2013
    Heavy but work quite well....

But the CRC Deores are a no brainer!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    They'd be alright for my budget of 40 pounds, could always sell them some time later and get something better. They are on sale so I won't make a lot of a loss if I sell them later.
  • Hi,

Theres no 2 ways about it but i will end up getting mechanical disc brakes on my bike rather than hydraulic ones. Ive been looking at hydraulic brakes and the price is WAY out of my range.

So are mechanical disc brakes just totally crap? Im assuming they are worse than hydraulic disc brakes because the price difference is monumental.

Bearing in mind that this will be my first time with disc brakes, how hard will it be to set up and adjust?

Does anyone know any good disc brake callipers that i could get for something like £40 for the pair? or is that too little money. I could delay the build a bit and save up more money for something better but i cant save up enough for hydros cause its just too much.

Thanks.
    They will be easier to maintain but they have no where near the stopping power of hydraulic discs so you might as well stick with pad brakes and save up for a while until you can get a nice pair of hydraulic discs, I recommend either clarks skeletal or or the cheap Shimano ones as starter discs but depends on what kind of riding you are doing, if you are riding on the road a lot you might as well stick to pad brakes.
    I have had experience with both mech disc brakes and hydraulic as I just sold my Carrera Vulcan with mech discs and am now riding a GT avalanche with hydraulic discs and can really feel the difference between the two!
    I think you would be much better of saving up for the hydraulic ones but its up to you and how desperate you are for better brakes, but it is up to you!
    road: carrera tdf ltd 2012
    xc: gt avalance 1.0 2008

love cycling :)
  • The Rookie
    They will be easier to maintain but they have no where near the stopping power of hydraulic discs
    Oh dear.....hydraulic brakes require less maintenance although when they do need work it is 'harder'.

BB7's have just as much stopping power as low end hydraulics, but need frequant adjustement (hydraulics self adjust for wear) to keep it that way.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Hi,

Thanks.
    They will be easier to maintain but they have no where near the stopping power of hydraulic discs so you might as well stick with pad brakes and save up for a while until you can get a nice pair of hydraulic discs, I recommend either clarks skeletal or or the cheap Shimano ones as starter discs but depends on what kind of riding you are doing, if you are riding on the road a lot you might as well stick to pad brakes.
    I have had experience with both mech disc brakes and hydraulic as I just sold my Carrera Vulcan with mech discs and am now riding a GT avalanche with hydraulic discs and can really feel the difference between the two!
    I think you would be much better of saving up for the hydraulic ones but its up to you and how desperate you are for better brakes, but it is up to you!

Thanks for the info! a great help!

Honestly, i would stay with V brakes since ive had SO much experience with them, ive replaced,adjusted and serviced v brakes countless times and now its just easy work for me. However i just bought a GT Chucker frame and it only takes disc brakes D: (i could use V brakes at the front but i havent got a fork just yet, but id much prefer discs front and back)

• gt-arrowhead
    They will be easier to maintain but they have no where near the stopping power of hydraulic discs
    Oh dear.....hydraulic brakes require less maintenance although when they do need work it is 'harder'.

BB7's have just as much stopping power as low end hydraulics, but need frequant adjustement (hydraulics self adjust for wear) to keep it that way.

They self adjust?? I never knew that, thats actually quite impressive.

Ive read about bleeding hydro brakes and ive read about peoples problems with pistons. ive specifically seen this "DO NOT PULL THE PISTONS OUT" (in capitals) so im scared that if i did end up with hydros then id probably mess them up...considering it will be my first set of disc brakes. So it definitely does sound harder :)
  • The Rookie
    You don't see your parents adjusting the brakes on their cars every couple of weeks, pretty much the same brakes.
  • The Rookie
    Yup........exact same principle.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Wow, thats a MASSIVE saving. Thanks SS.Its a shame that i dont have the money right now D: Ive spent it all on the bike its self and the other parts for it. Also had to spend some on an upgrade on my main bike.

@beginner: Have you decided on a price yet for that rear wheel? Sorry if youve replied to my PM, ive been having issues with receiving PMs.