Which MTB for my girlfriend?

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I want to get my girlfriend a mountain bike, happy to know what to buy for myself but not for her!

- nothing too technical or gnarly, it will be for bridal ways, towpaths, mountain tracks, Pennine way, remote pennine moorland that type of thing. Not trail centres
- she's not particularly quick or strong so as light as possible for the money would best
- low gearing, probably a triple would be best
- wont get a massive amount of use so between 500-1000 pounds would be good, the lower the better obviously!
- happy to fit the bike for her myself, swap stems and bars etc. so thinking men/unisex bike as more choice just in a small size.
- She'll want to sit on it but not necessarily test ride. Have an Evans, Leisure Lakes, Wheelbase, Decathlon, halfords plus other independents nearby
- something stable, neutral handling, she's not the most confident, Lightweight for good climbing, shes 5'4" so probably not a 29er, just a 26er
- the normal candidates Voodo hoodoo, or Decathlon seem more trail bikes and too heavy and robust, same with rock hopper etc
- thinking a x-country hard tail with short travel suspension, Something like a Cube and as light as possible

Can anyone give me pointers?

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rockrider 8.1, very XC (not Trail!), best spec and one of the lightest in that price range.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I always seem to be saying this, but I would recommend buying something second hand off Ebay / classifieds etc.

That way you'll get more for your money (ie lighter) and if your gf decides she doesn't like it (or indeed wants a better bike!) you'll probably get your money back on it. If you buy new you will not get anything like your money back....

Ebay etc is always full of 'one careful lady owner' bikes that have hardly ever been ridden (unless it's one of mine :lol: ), so it always seems a shame not to take advantage of that and snap them up!! :D

And definitely not a 29er if she's 5ft 4 - that's the same height as me and I just don't get how they are possible for someone my height.... A 14-16" frame will be your starting point.

viewtopic.php?f=40089&t=12913242 - a 1 second look on classifieds....!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    +1 for 'pre-loved'......

I ride with a women of 5'4" who rides a 29er, an on-one small (14" frame)...looks perfectly OK!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    or if you want something with a touch of pink on it http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 £585 at the mo
      227772?$PDP_MAIN$
      Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
    • bartimaeus
      bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
      Just get the right size... there should be a reasonable choice either new like the Boardman, or 2nd hand if you look for things like Myka's or Rockhoppers.
      Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
      Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
      Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
    • Levi_501
      Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
      Find out her favorite colour, then buy one that colour; it works!
    • Escher303
      Escher303 Posts: 342
      Thanks for the suggestions everyone. She wanted new and why not! She's now the proud owner of a Rockrider 8.1, picked it up last night. Have to say despite having more premium brands myself I'm very impressed with the Decathlon bikes. She rides on the road a lot so I'm sure this'll get a lot of use. She likes the colour too ;-)