Locktite the centering screw for dual pivot brakes?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited March 2013 in Workshop
I find that I frequently have to adjust the little screw on my 105 brakes to keep the pads centred on the wheel rim.

I'm not sure if the screw is moving during long rides, if so should I locktite it once i'm happy with its position or is it normal to have to adjust it frequently? I guess it is very easy to do so unlike the cantis on my tricross.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Not normal as far as I'm concerned. My brakes stay centered. Maybe you need to tighten the mounting bolt if the caliper is moving? Or a strip / clean / lube of the entire caliper?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check that the central mounting bolt is snug - fit a serrated washer if necessary.

A medium grade threadlock is worthwhile for all fasteners where there is no secondary retention mechanism e.g. locknut - that's why there's blue stuff on the threads when they're new
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fair enough for the mounting bolt and the pivots, but I wouldn't be putting threadlock on that tiny adjustment screw.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Do you mean like the blue stuff that comes on the adjuster screws when they're new? The problem is there are various degrees of Loctite and most problems are folks using the wrong grade.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..