Ooh, hello!

pinkteapot
pinkteapot Posts: 367
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
Newbie cyclist - someone in Road Beginners mentioned this board. I hadn't noticed it before. Which is unlike me since it says "cake".

I used to be a runner until a foot problem put pay to that. Started a new job in Feb that's 4 miles from home (previously 50 miles) so started biking it on my godawful old cheap Rayleigh MTB. Thought about getting a better bike but didn't think it would really be that different. Then I went to my LBS, explained this view, and they sent me outside on a Specialized hybrid. Talk about an epiphany. Ended up with a Whyte women's Malvern and I'm obsessed. Cycling has always seemed like hard work. Now it's like I'm flying along and am one with the bike. :D

Some of you might have seen my thread in Beginners - I'm doing a 60 mile charity ride on 19th May. I'm riding to work 3-4 days a week and doing longer rides at weekends, adding 5 miles per week to those to build up to the 60 mile mark. Which at this point still seems like a ridiculous, impossible distance. I'm sure it won't on the day though... ;)

Cycling aside, anyone else about into hill-walking (all our holidays are spent in the Lakes and Scotland) or archery?

And any other Essex girls? :D

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Blah...blah...blah.....any other Essex girls? :D

We demand a photo of any new visitor to the Cake Stop.

p.s welcome
  • pinkteapot
    Your brain's blah blah women's waffle filter went into overdrive. You didn't clock the fact I'm an Essex girl who wields a bow and arrow. :D
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Welcome aboard the cake stop express, close the doors,hold on tight and remember the louder you scream the faster we go. :lol:

"Stereotype alert" being an Essex girl are you sure you're a PINKteapot and not an ORANGEteapot? :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pinkteapot
    Haha, no, I'm definitely not orange. I'm also one of those people who lives in north Essex and prefers to think of myself as living "near Suffolk" rather than "in Essex". :D Bit like those on the Wirral who don't say they live in Liverpool.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Cycling aside, anyone else about into hill-walking

Welcome pinkteapot, there are many cyclists on here who do sometimes resort to hill walking, you will just never hear them admit to it!
  • Frank the tank
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Haha, no, I'm definitely not orange. I'm also one of those people who lives in north Essex and prefers to think of myself as living "near Suffolk" rather than "in Essex". :D Bit like those on the Wirral who don't say they live in Liverpool.
    Now I understand, you're one of those with ideas above their station. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    GiantMike wrote:
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Blah...blah...blah.....any other Essex girls? :D

We demand a photo of any new visitor to the Cake Stop.

smooth :wink:

p.s welcome
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot wrote:

Welcome pinkteapot, there are many cyclists on here who do sometimes resort to hill walking, you will just never hear them admit to it!

Was a bit gutted to discover that neither of our cars can take a rear cycle carrier, so I can't take my bike up north with us without an expensive roof or towball system. Going to Skye and the Outer Hebrides in June and biking round would have been amazing. :(
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    pinkteapot wrote:

Was a bit gutted to discover that neither of our cars can take a rear cycle carrier, so I can't take my bike up north with us without an expensive roof or towball system. Going to Skye and the Outer Hebrides in June and biking round would have been amazing. :(

No room in the car if you removed the bikes wheels?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    pinkteapot wrote:

Hold on he's admitted to being a woman, likes hill walking and knows where the wirral is - I think he's giving away waaaay too much info.

Sit down and have an eccles cake. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Bit like those on the Wirral who don't say they live in Liverpool.

Oooohh, provocative. I think you'll fit in just right here. :)
  • Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Bit like those on the Wirral who don't say they live in Liverpool.

I DO live on the Wirral and NOT in Liverpool, I'll have you know. Pfft :evil:
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Dog Breath.
    I would give Lookyhere a wide berth if I were you. Judging by his thread he would have you muzzled and get 500 quid off you.
  • pinkteapot
    Got a good friend in Liverpool who loves saying "I'm not from
    Liverpool, I'm from the Wirral."

Re car, got a Mondeo which happily swallows a bike whole, but not when going away with the amount of stuff we take. :( Anyway, with the increased fuel consumption all the way from Essex to the Hebrides with a carrier I could probably buy another bike up there just for the holiday!
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Where abouts are you in North Essex then, Pinky ?
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • pinkteapot
    Colchester... So only about five miles south of Suffolk. :) Hoping to escape town for a village next year which will have the added bonus of country roads being on my doorstep, so no longer having two miles on busy roads to escape.
  • pinkteapot
    Woohoo! With the Hebrides we're staying on the Uists (small group of islands, so we're not on the main larger islands). Have found that the Uists have a bike shop (just the one) which also does cycle hire. So I won't have to go for a fortnight without biking. :D
  • stannie
    stannie Posts: 167
    Hi pinkteapot
    Enjoy the Hebrides. I hope the weather isn't too snowy to do some cycling.
    Have a cream scone on me.
    (Ps I am not an Essex girl but my hubby is from Suffolk)
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!
  • pinkteapot
    Hebrides isn't until June so hoping the world has thawed out by then... :/

*Love* a good cream tea. :D
  • Keith47
    Keith47 Posts: 158
    Hi pinkteapot, I enjoy a bit of hill walking too, love Snowdon and Tryffan, have done a lot of walking in the Lake District as well, nowt wrong with I say!.
    Good luck with your charity ride.
    Welcome to the madhouse :D
    The problem is we are not eating food anymore, we are eating food-like products.
  • pinkteapot
    Mr. Teapot and I are working through climbing all the Wainwrights in the Lake District. :D

By the time we're done, maybe I'll be ready to MTB up them all...
  • pinkteapot wrote:
    Colchester... So only about five miles south of Suffolk. :) Hoping to escape town for a village next year which will have the added bonus of country roads being on my doorstep, so no longer having two miles on busy roads to escape.

Not far from where I live. Lots of good routes and nice places to live in N Essex as I'm sure you know, especially if it ever warms up...
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    pinkteapot wrote:
    Woohoo! With the Hebrides we're staying on the Uists (small group of islands, so we're not on the main larger islands). Have found that the Uists have a bike shop (just the one) which also does cycle hire. So I won't have to go for a fortnight without biking. :D

The Uists are large enough for great rides. The threemain islands are North and South Uist linked by causway through Benbecula. It really would be worth getting the ferry (south) to Barra and doing the circuit of the island. Going north, Harris and Lewis would be fantastic if you have the time - the hills are bigger.

PS I do a bit of hillwalking (you can't avoid it round here).

-Spider-
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    You'll love the Hebs. Make sure you get along to the 'Och Aye' nightclub on a Thursday or Friday night. It's in Benbecula just along from the multiplex cinema, next to the massive shopping centre. Watch out for the Yardies though, the islands are full of them.
  • pinkteapot
    -spider- wrote:
    pinkteapot wrote:

The Uists are large enough for great rides. The threemain islands are North and South Uist linked by causway through Benbecula. It really would be worth getting the ferry (south) to Barra and doing the circuit of the island. Going north, Harris and Lewis would be fantastic if you have the time - the hills are bigger.

We were planning a trip to Barra anyway as the hubby's into birds (avian) and something rare that I forget the name of turns up there. I can leave him watching for it and go out for a spin. :D

We went to Orkney for a fortnight a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Only spending a week on the Uists as they're so much smaller but starting to think I might end up wishing we'd had longer there.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Orkney is great too (as is Shetland) but the Western Isles are, by far, the best. It is like visiting a different country. Tip - make sure you are in the southern end of the islands on Sunday.

-Spider-
  • pinkteapot
    -spider- wrote:
    Orkney is great too (as is Shetland) but the Western Isles are, by far, the best. It is like visiting a different country. Tip - make sure you are in the southern end of the islands on Sunday.

We spent a couple of days on Skye as part of our honeymoon and want to go back for longer, hence spending a week there. Had an amazing first anniversary on Orkney - saw killer whales! That's meant trying to keep up/top it so I'm planning a swim in the Fairy Pools on Skye for our third anniversary. :)

Even Orkney felt like being abroad. It's surreal watching BBC Breakfast in the morning when it's completely irrelevant. Not to mention the BBC's appalling coverage of Orkney weather on their map. :/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    This thread is so genteel I thought I had strayed into a parallel forum. Welcome, but, be warned,it isn't always so.
    Thankfully :)
  • Wunnunda
    Wunnunda Posts: 214
    Ballysmate wrote:
    This thread is so genteel I thought I had strayed into a parallel forum. Welcome, but, be warned,it isn't always so.
    Thankfully :)
    Yes - the cake stop windows will have chintzy gingham curtains before you know it. With tie-backs.
  • Frank the tank
    You're all on ya best behaviour 'cos you've had the sniff of a new bird on the forum. :wink:

BTW, I did advise her to bring her tin hat. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie