Second Passports

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,348
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
Afternoon

I'm getting abit sick of not being able to go home (from NL) becasue my passport is needed to get a Visa for whatever Gdoforssaken place my company is sending me to next. Is it still possible to get second passports? Is there a particular form I need to fill in? Somebody must be an international jetsetter man of mystery..?

Thanks
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    ddraver wrote:
    Afternoon

I'm getting abit sick of not being able to go home (from NL) becasue my passport is needed to get a Visa for whatever Gdoforssaken place my company is sending me to next. Is it still possible to get second passports? Is there a particular form I need to fill in? Somebody must be an international jetsetter man of mystery..?

Thanks

I've had two passports for years, for the self-same reason you quote, getting a visa for some godforsaken country whilst being in another godforsaken country.

I think the application route is the same, but you need a letter from your employer stating why you need an additional passport.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Afternoon

Thanks

y not just private message him?!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    ddraver wrote:
    Somebody must be an international jetsetter..?

Thanks

Calling V-tech, calling V-tech.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    a kiwi, should be able to get a UK passport no problems

I travelled in Africa a few years ago with a kiwi, had 3 passports (Kiwi, Irish and UK) so every time we crossed a boarder he chose a passport with the lowest border cross charge....

but if you were caught doing something dodgy having 3 passports will raise a lot of questions... maybe no good answers.....
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I didn't know you could get a second passport. I've never had much issue other than trying to get into India, I've struggled twice now to do that and have had to result to going in as a tourist and not business. Russia has proven harder than most but still able to get visa at the airport arrival.
    USA has been an issue in years gone by as they used to use a new page for each stamp but are happy to stamp 4 times on a single page.
    I had to replace mine in Peterborough on Tuesday as I had ran out of pages but the new one came through this morning and I have 10 years 9 months on it but will need to change within 3-4 years.
    I'm finding that a British passport isn't like it used to be, there are far more checks done these days.
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    The trouble is more that I can't go somewhere else (i.e. home) becasue the passport is in an embassy, rather than troubles getting into places (no one wants to go to the places we haev to go usually and mentioning that you re there for an oil company usually sloves most problems.

One of those EU ID cards would work just as well, but I don't think they re acceptable for UK Airports..?
    - @ddraver
  • VTech
    I'm not sure if they are, I wouldn't think so.
    I was intending to use my driving licence to fly to Aberdeen in the morning as I didn't think my passport would be back in time but I didn't think anything other than a full passport would get me anywhere out of the UK although I'm not certain of that.
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    No neither am I....

Just realised that technically I should have my passport on me all the time in NL, so that could be a good "reason"too...I think it's a bit harder now that it was 5 years or so ago but think it's worth it becasue it's getting annoying!
    - @ddraver
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    VTech wrote:
    . I've never had much issue other than trying to get into India, I've struggled twice now to do that and have had to result to going in as a tourist and not business.

Asian friends of ours used to travel back to India on an Indian passport. He used to get held up because he refused to pay the bribe to expedite the process at immigration on his arrival in India. He had to comply in the end due to pressure brought to bear by his missus. :)
  • just discover an irish grandparent and get a paddy one too, it worked for tony cascarino...oh wait...
  • renard
    renard Posts: 51
    I would check about an national ID card. I have seen plenty of people boarding flights at London City airport using national id cards. The flights I have seen them being used would have to been Frankfurt and Amsterdam mainly.

When I have seen them being used, it has been at the boarding gate, so they may have had to present their passport at check in. I am pretty sure that self service check in machines won't take id cards, so you would have to use a manned desk.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    portuguese citizens can travel to the uk on their ID card no passport required, friend just did this, flew ryan air I booked the flight for him online and it said on the form passport or ID card number required to book and travel. He went and came back no probs.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ddraver
    There's no ID card a UK Citizen can get though is there..? Cos I thought that might be easier but, curse us, we all so anti ID cards in the UK!! ;)
    - @ddraver
  • ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    As @SheffSimon said - very easy to get a second passport and well worth having if you need to get visas.
  • LiamW
    LiamW Posts: 358
    just discover an irish grandparent and get a paddy one too, it worked for tony cascarino...oh wait...

He was adopted, his adoptive mother was Irish so therefore he was entitled to an Irish passport. Not that hard to understand.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    ddraver wrote:
    The trouble is more that I can't go somewhere else (i.e. home) becasue the passport is in an embassy, rather than troubles getting into places (no one wants to go to the places we haev to go usually and mentioning that you re there for an oil company usually sloves most problems.

One of those EU ID cards would work just as well, but I don't think they re acceptable for UK Airports..?

They are acceptable AT airports but not at heliports if you are going offshore.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort
    Further to the above , i work for an offshore company but we are still governed by the laws of the land. Mind you it,s surprising how quick things can be arranged that would usually take weeks :D
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ddraver wrote:
    No neither am I....

Just realised that technically I should have my passport on me all the time in NL, so that could be a good "reason"too...I think it's a bit harder now that it was 5 years or so ago but think it's worth it becasue it's getting annoying!

Yes, you are right, In the Netherlands as a foreigner you should have your passport with you at all times. I used to be based right on the Dutch border inside Germany and if I ever wanted to go into Holland to shop or whatever I had to have my passport. Whoever is holding it has no right to do so as it is property of the Home Office and should not be removed from you. Technically by doing so they are making you break the law.
  • ademort
    ddraver wrote:
    No neither am I....

Yes, you are right, In the Netherlands as a foreigner you should have your passport with you at all times. I used to be based right on the Dutch border inside Germany and if I ever wanted to go into Holland to shop or whatever I had to have my passport. Whoever is holding it has no right to do so as it is property of the Home Office and should not be removed from you. Technically by doing so they are making you break the law.

In the Netherlands you do not have to carry your passport at all times. If you have a driving license with your photo on it this is also acceptable or if you are living in the Netherlands and are registered with the IND as you should be then your IND card is also acceptable.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • smoggysteve
    ademort wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    No neither am I....

In the Netherlands you do not have to carry your passport at all times. If you have a driving license with your photo on it this is also acceptable or if you are living in the Netherlands and are registered with the IND as you should be then your IND card is also acceptable.
    Ademort

If you are a dutch national yes, but as a non natioanl you need your passport. I am sure the British army wouldnt tell me so if it wasnt true. There have been cases of soldiers being arrested for not doing so. Going into Holland from Germany and when challenged by the police they have been arrseted, even if they had their Army ID card, which we also have to carry on us at all times.
  • ademort
    If you are in the Netherlands anyone of the following is accepted as identity by police etc

1 Passport

2 Driving license

3 IND card

The IND card is issued by the immigration authorities. Anyone who is not a Dutch citizen must be registered with the IND which stands for Immigration and naturalisation service.I don,t know how long ago it is since you were in the army but the above mentioned are all accepted as proof of identity.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • smoggysteve
    ademort wrote:
    If you are in the Netherlands anyone of the following is accepted as identity by police etc

1 Passport

2 Driving license

3 IND card

The IND card is issued by the immigration authorities. Anyone who is not a Dutch citizen must be registered with the IND which stands for Immigration and naturalisation service.I don,t know how long ago it is since you were in the army but the above mentioned are all accepted as proof of identity.
    Ademort

Still serving, still in Germany. Have been since 2000 Spent 3 years living in Bruggen right on dutch border from 2003 to 2006 and have been around that area all my career. So I know what I am talking about. Was back in that area less than 2 months ago and rules have not changed. If you want to visit Holland from Germany we must have passport. ID card or drivers license is not valid form of ID for us to use. Not because we are army, but because we are British.
  • ademort
    Please look at this link and use google translate. http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identifica ... _Nederland
    You can see that what i,ve written above is correct. If you are mis informed by your CO please show him this. I know what i,m talking about but believe you have been mis informed it,s in the link in Black and White exactly whats required and when.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • smoggysteve
    Yeah cos wiki is gospel. Its not the CO who makes the rules, its BFG standing orders. Written higher up than a half colonel

Still don't explain squaddies being arrested for no ID, not out drinking, they were shopping in the town.
  • ddraver
    I know for a fact that a driving licence only gets very grudging acceptance...I ve never had to try it with the police though. I think it's a spot 40-50Eur fine now though. Sort of thing you'd get done for if you had no lights on the bike after dark and that...
    - @ddraver
  • ademort
    ddraver wrote:
    I know for a fact that a driving licence only gets very grudging acceptance...I ve never had to try it with the police though. I think it's a spot 40-50Eur fine now though. Sort of thing you'd get done for if you had no lights on the bike after dark and that...

I can,t see how it gets grudging acceptance. The law quite clearly states that passports, driving licenses and IND cards are all legally accepted as proof of identity.By the way the police in the Netherlands are fu@in tossers.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ddraver
    Put simply becasue they don't know what it is, therefore whether or not it's real...oh and they may also not be that up to date on the law...
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,164
    SheffSimon wrote:
    I've had two passports for years, for the self-same reason you quote, getting a visa for some godforsaken country whilst being in another godforsaken country.

I think the application route is the same, but you need a letter from your employer stating why you need an additional passport.
    +1.

Pretty easy really if you get the letter from your employer.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Business folk (and officials) often need more than 1 passport in order to travel to/between countries which do not "like" to see that they have been to certain "other" countries! I used to endorse such applications to the Passport Office when a Desk Officer for Iran!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • VTech
    I was in a road rally through holland a few years back and we were all stopped for several hours with a couple of cars confiscated. They were quite brutal with us.
    Living MY dream.