Navigational aids

dan2525
dan2525 Posts: 3
edited March 2013 in Tour & expedition
Hi

My first post - I am organising and taking part in a 7 day charity ride at the end of June to commemorate my being 25 years clear of leukaemia. I have plotted the route on mapometer and now I am looking for a way of putting those files onto a sat nav style system. Is there a decent Iphone app where you can upload routes, or should I shell out for a Garmin or similar?

Many thanks

Dan
www.justgiving.com/25years25counties

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    You might struggle with an Iphone for battery life over 7 days. I have run mine in GPS mode and through apps before & it can struggle to last.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Buy a Garmin 800, it'll give you much better battery life.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    our garmin 800's last for 2-3 days of all day touring, we use a gorilla charger to recharge garmins, phones, kindles, when needed
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I use a gps so I don't have any experience of navigating with an iPhone, but a quick shufty threw up a couple of free apps that might be worth checking out:

- easytrails
    = Greatest Road Motorcycle Rider GPS Navigation Road Finder

both of which claim to have the ability to load gpx tracks - but there are so many navigation apps there must be more. (Hopefully someone will come along with better recommendations)

There's also MotionX which is a paid-for app but the cost is trivial in comparison to a gps. I have it on my iPod Touch but I have to confess that I've never used it.

As far as the battery life issue is concerned I think the major question is whether the battery is enough to last a long day's riding. If you could download and cache the maps that would save some power, but from what I've read, the gpx and the display are pretty power hungry. Charging up each night is relatively straightforward even if you are camping.

It seems crazy to buy a GPS just for a week, but something like a Garmin eTrex 20 would be significantly cheaper than a Garmin 800 and would do everything you need. Do you know someone who might lend you one for a week? If you updated your profile to say where you live it's possible there might be someone in your area who would offer the loan of a gps.
  • dan2525
    dan2525 Posts: 3
    Thanks Andy

I will check out those apps, I know there are issues with battery life on Iphones, so I think your idea of borrowing a Garmin is a good one. The lower end option is a good idea as well, I am really only wanting it for navigation rather than speed heart rate etc.

Thanks

Dan

www.25years25counties.co.uk