Advice needed on new build on a Nomad

matisko
matisko Posts: 22
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hi,
Im currently planning a build on a SC NOMAD frame. I've already got Hope ceramic BB, Lyrik Forks, Chris King headset, Thomson stem, ragley bars, Hope wheels.

So, I still need a drivetrain, i.e cranks, rear mech, shifters, and possibly front mech, brakes, seat, tyres, pedals.
My main thoughts are with what gearing set up to go for. Either 9, or 10 speed, and then 1x10, 2x9, 3x9 etc.
I have a xc bike so this new build is mainly for a bit of gravity fun.
Any suggestions?
I'm looking at Saint , XTR, FSA, etc.

cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Saint is overkill unless your building a DH bike, the cranks are particularly heavy. I would go for XTR or XT 10 speed.
  • RobJ20
    RobJ20 Posts: 48
    I use an SLX double and bash crankset, sram rear mech, shimano front. If i were buying new i would get a 10 speed with the new type 2 mech but i love the slx double and bash.

Brakes i use hope tech m4 on the back and tech v2 on the front.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hope brakes aren't the top choice they used to be. Shimano Zee brakes are epic, extremely powerful and sensitive but easy to control with good feel. They are as good as Saint and only 30g heavier but a lot cheaper.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    slx or xt drivetrain, id go 1x10. either is excellent.
    straitline silent guide
    xt or zee brakes
    charge spoon saddle
    maybe some hans dampf tyres, maybe maxxis. maybe something else - totally your preference.
    superstar nano pedals

i run a mk1 nomad 1x9, and whilst not the best climber its alright. what shock have you got?
  • matisko
    matisko Posts: 22
    rockshox lyrics 160, and fox dhx 5
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    i run a dhx5, does the job for me. 36s out front, which I also quite like, though would prefer a lyrik if i had to choose (i didn't, the 36s came with the bike).

What year is the frame?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I've been running 1x10 for a little while and it feels fine. As it's used for general XC duties, but I do a lot of fast, rocky descents, and DH courses on it. I run an 11-36t cassette with a 32t ring. I would probably recomend this range, and have a 34t or maybe even a 36t as a spare depending on just how fast your descents are.