What are the lighest handlebars and stem

steveamanda83
steveamanda83 Posts: 10
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone looking to upgrade my handlebars. stem and seatpost to carbon fibre would like to get the lighest i can same brand if i can and the best or cheapest website to get them from many thanks

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The enve carbon bars are pretty light, but personally I'd decide on the required size then look for the lightest. Wider bars tend to be heavier...
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Carbon cycles (exotic) website has some good priced carbon bars/seatposts on it, worth a look.
    Generally, carbon stems seem to be no lighter than alloy, or at least thats what is usually stated on the forums.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    You might need to give a budget cos there're plenty of superlight bars and stems out there, but whether you want to be paying £400 each for them is another matter (and whether anyone really wants a 50cm bar anymore). As ride_whenever said, figure out what you actually want first (size, etc) then start looking for light pieces within that category.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    at €739 that stem is a bargain.
  • njee20
    Have two!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    EH_Rob wrote:
    at €739 that stem is a bargain.
    but just think how much lighter he would be with all that weight removed from his wallet :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Cheers for all the replys my current bars are Syntace Duraflite 2014 318 Oversized
    my current stem is Syntace F149 Oversized
    my cuurent seatpost is RFR Prolight 31,6mm setback
    dont the weight of these but was looking to shed some weight is it worth it any ideas would be nice
    thank you
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never ask what is the lightest, ask what the lightest you can afford is!

Exotic or Superstar are good VFM for their weights.

The Duraflyte will be about 233g if they are alloy, that is what my 2012 weigh.
    Stem and seatpost no idea, but neither is exactly hard to remove for weighing.

Budget?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • well i am willing to spend about 250 not to worried about seat post just bars and stem
  • The Rookie
    Stem - carbon is rarely lighter than alloy unless paying stupid amounts, stick to a good alloy one - this is a good option
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=458
    Though saving per pound over yours may be poor
    Bars - carbon wins
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=94&p=1062&
    Seatpost - ditto
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=47&
    example
    http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=47&p=210&
    For a BIG saving
    http://smud-carbon.eu/seatpost.html but for most your budget - also while he has a good rep for quality, his delivery is a bit slow....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386

Nahhhh. Scandium wins.....

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=69&p=628&

(115g compared to 160g)
  • The Rookie
    Yes because comparing a 560mm scandium to a 750mm carbon is relevant how?
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    My race face sixc bars are 785mm and weigh 234g, their turbine stem is pretty light too and they're about £80 each
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Ouija

Because the OP is interested in lowest weight (why so confrontational?).
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    dusk wrote:
    My race face sixc bars are 785mm
    How wide are your shoulders :shock:
  • The Rookie
    Ouija wrote:

Because the OP is interested in lowest weight (why so confrontational?).
    So get a carbon 560mm which will be lighter than that Scandium....but the OP has just said lightest, no mention of width, backsweep, usage, or rise amount....

Confrontational - no, just taking the mickey as your suggestion was just plain daft!
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Just sack off bars and ride with no hands everywhere.
  • Ouija
    So get a carbon 560mm which will be lighter than that Scandium....but the OP has just said lightest, no mention of width, backsweep, usage, or rise amount....

Ermm... The shortest and lightest carbon straight bar that Exotic do is 600mm in length..... And it's 174g compared to the 115g of the scandium bar. In fact, the scandium bar is the lightest bar they do (in any length). You'll find very few carbon straight bars of that length can match the scandium bar in weight unless your prepared to pay very silly money indeed.
  • The Rookie
    By your own words you said lightest right......hence you've just said Carbon is lighter than alluminium alloy - I thank you.

P.S. be sure you know what Scandum is before replying!
  • njee20
    Mt Zoom do excellent bars at a good weight.

New Ultimate stems are good - my 100mm is 102g, not silly money.
  • Ouija
    By your own words you said lightest right......hence you've just said Carbon is lighter than alluminium alloy - I thank you.

That post makes no sense (and smacks of desperation). Scandium is a metal. In this instance, it produces a alloy bar that is lighter than an equivalent size/shaped carbon bar. What's so difficult to grasp? Do you just like arguing for the sake of it? Why so confrontational?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Exotic 'scandium' bar (it is aluminium with less than 2% scandium) is a good buy if you want a very narrow xc bar. The carbon 750mm is also good for the money - is designed for AM, not many AM bars have this width and strength.

Exotic don't do a full carbon flat bar any narrower.
  • The Rookie
    Ouija wrote:

That post makes no sense (and smacks of desperation). Scandium is a metal. In this instance, it produces a alloy bar that is lighter than an equivalent size/shaped carbon bar. What's so difficult to grasp? Do you just like arguing for the sake of it? Why so confrontational?
    You just seem desperate to compare it to a carbon coated ally bar (not carbon bar) that is much heavier than most to make your point.....in fact it's heavier than the wider full carbon bar (kind of proving my point)
  • njee20
    That post makes no sense (and smacks of desperation). Scandium is a metal. In this instance, it produces a alloy bar that is lighter than an equivalent size/shaped carbon bar.[quote/]

As said, Scandium is always a tiny proportion of any 'scandium' parts, and the lightest bars will always be carbon. Not to say there aren't light alu bars, but not the lightest.
  • I bought the Easton haven carbon bar for my zesty.
    Its 711mm wide and I weighed it at 178 grammes.
    It was half the weight of the alloy bar i took off.