Titanium Chain

2»

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Stretched my fixie chain in <500 miles, don't do hill climbs on a fixie :lol:

Thanks to this thread I've got a KMC X10l gold [£26!] and a chain wear tool coming from ribble.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    iPete wrote:
    Stretched my fixie chain in <500 miles, don't do hill climbs on a fixie :lol:

Thanks to this thread I've got a KMC X10l gold [£26!] and a chain wear tool coming from ribble.

Did you build your fixie up or buy it ready made? How much did you spend? I want a single speed but not sure whether to build one or buy a cheapo...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • iPete
    Hmmm a lot, not sure I want to add it up! but I love riding it so that's all that matters. Rode geared for the first time yesterday, odd!

Picked it up for 310 on eBay, spent quite a bit experimenting with drops bars, stem lengths, different brakes, different cogs, chainsets and the wheels on there now were more than the bike.

BUT you could build something nice for <500 easily if you scan the classifieds/eBay/LFGSS, spesh langsters are always popular. Saw a nice bike on LFGSS for 190 the other day. I'd pick up a ready to roll second hand bike and chop and change to make it suit you.
  • goonz
    Sounds about right, are those viking and teman bikes worth the fuss? Or should I try find one with a vintage frame?
  • iPete
    It's all pretty simple but I'd hold out for a nicer frame. Mine is a stiff allu frame, harsh ride but responsive and light. If building yourself you'll need some different tools than roadie ones and need to consider what chain width you get and whether you want to get guards on.

Keep and eye out for Spesh langsters, Pearson touché, surly steamroller or dolan pre cursa, all popular and reliable bikes/frames that offer different ride characteristics, specs and not all can run SS.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Velonutter wrote:
    warrerj wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:
    Yep totally agree, buy yourself a Park tool chain checking, your chain will need changing around every 2000 miles and if left will ruin your cassette and eventually your rings.
    2000miles??? I get about that out of the KMC on my MTB! The stock shimano that came on my road bike has done double that so far and is still fine.
    Maybe you need to rethink your chain care ideas?

My chains are cleaned spotless after every ride, then dried, re-lubed and left over night to settle in.

If they get really dirty then I degrease using a Park tool chain cleaner with degreasing solution.

If you used a proper chain checker, then I'm sure you will struggle to get more than 2000 miles per chain. As soon as mine get to 75% then get binned.

I'm the same. I think it's about where and how you ride as well as care. Also better to change early rather than late.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • goonz
    Right so got my KMC 10 sp chain which I hope to fit this weekend. Just one question, it seems like it is missing the pin to connect the 2 links together. Is this something that I should have been sent or do I remove it from my old chain and use to fit it?

Also how do I know which direction the chain should fit in?
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    it should have come with Missing Link http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/products/con ... ing_links/
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • Kerching

BGYFA4vCMAAFwZ9.jpg:large
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles