Shimano Deore M495 Hub Issues

mightyi
mightyi Posts: 73
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm just rebuilding my wheels to keep them running for a few more months, and come across some issues, mainly down to badly scored cones and bearings. It seems that getting hold of anything for these hubs is a bit of a nightmare, and i kind of object to spending more than the hub is worth on buying bits of spares (if i can ever get them!). A couple of people I've spoken to have uggested putting uprated internals in the hubs, as some of them are interchangeable, but i can't get a definiteive answer. The main problem is the M495 hubs are centre lock, meaning the external rubber seals aren't compatible off the Deore M525 hubs, even though i've been told the internals for these should be straight swaps.

I do intend to buy a replacement set of wheels some time later in the year, but can't afford the cost just now. If i can get some compatible hubs cheaply I can just rip the internals out; even if it means swapping the cups over (never been afraid of a bit of hard work! :wink: )

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just buy a Shimano hub from CRC, ping out the seats and use the axle and cones etc

Next time look after them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mightyi
    @The Beginner I've just bought the bike, previous owner hasn't looked after it too well...i go to the other extreme with maintenance :)

I did check on CRC but they don't stock the 495 hubs any more? Unless you mean 'any' shimano hub (within reason like...) My only concern is buying a 6 bolt hub and finding issues fitting the internals to a centre lock one?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Axle, cones and seats are all the same as I understnad it, go to techdocs.shimano.com and compare the part No.s (remembering that many have identical parts physically but may be better materials which will give a different PN)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mightyi
    great stuff - cheers! (cue me buying endless hubs and failing lol) :)