Mobile Phones...

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited April 2013 in The hub
Phone contract is up, so I'm after a new phone.

Currently have WP7 and I don't want another windows phone.
Considering an iPhone 4s or 5 as I use Mac at home.
Also looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note, but I can't decide if its too big or not.
The Galaxy S3/Mini doesn't do anything for me and they're common as muck, I find them a bit boring but then again I just want a phone to be a phone.

I'll be honest, I don't use my phone for much more than calls, facebook, twitter, emails and the calendar. I don't do mobile games, use the camera occasionally to take photo's of the bike...

I can get the S3 mini for £17 a month (which is £10 less than what I'm paying now) or the Note 2 for £26 a month.

Thoughts?

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    im similar to you, i have a galaxy s2 which does everything i need. id have thought an s3 mini will do the same. id go for it, you could spend ages researching it but for what?

iphones obviously are not common as muck? surely if a phone is as common as muck it means its good?
  • Ahh yeah, was just thinking out loud lol.

With the S3, my mum and dad have them, GF has one, brother has one and literally 90% of the people in work have them!
    I know the S4 is out soon (prob why the S3 deals are good at the mo), but I'm not bothered lol.

I just don't know (or care) enough abou phones lol. I can get a free HTC Desire C for £10 a month with more mins and txts, but all the reviews say its crap?!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    buy phone, get phone free contract, save loads... win.
  • I understand why people do, but I can't see it being much cheaper unless you change your phone a lot... plus I don't have cash to buy a phone, all my spare cash goes on the bike lol!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    furry nough, but take something like the nexus 4, you can buy for as little as 240 but on contract it actually adds up to nearer 450.

If not i'd go for the more basic phones if you use it for basic functions. I avoid apple for now, expensive for a seriously out of date operating system(and before apple lovers kick me for that, it's from there own engineers mouth). Find a budget android phone and win.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,978
    Just get an iPhone.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at this deal:

http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_con ... er_details

I have it (phone ships with Android 4.0, and an update is coming up for Jelly bean). £17 a month is a steal.
  • Nice, but not enough data for me!!

I'm swaying towards a Note 2 at the mo...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I've got this:

http://www.buymobilephones.net/motorola/motorola-razr-i

Works well, nice and fast, no glitches and yet to see it freeze up. My old cheapo Android used to freeze up every 5 mins.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice, but not enough data for me!!

I'd have thought 250mb would be ample for what you say your use is! Unless you are on it all day lol. I've ued 50mb last month for FB and email.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Nice, but not enough data for me!!

I'd have thought 250mb would be ample for what you say your use is! Unless you are on it all day lol. I've ued 50mb last month for FB and email.
    use it to browse FB, BR, pinkbike, YouTube etc most of the day at work! Don't always have WiFi which sucks!

That's why I cant decide about a note 2 would be great for watching vids, browsing and social networking but I cant decide if it's just too big for a phone...
  • shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    Get an iPhone 5, they're so easy to use, they do all the things you want it for flawlessly, you will never have to turn it off and on again like most android as iPhones just don't get slower and they hold there value really well too - i had been using an iPhone 4 16gb for two years and sold it in January for £200 (it was in VGC with all accessories) but you cant argue with the numbers :D

also, they do all the basic functions better than most other phones IMO, the keyboard for typing is really accurate, the noise cancellation whilst on calls works brilliantly, the Safari browser is really easy to use and the camera is good to boot.

I have had android and non android phones before but when i was after a new phone in January i went out looking at the HTC one X and galaxy S3......i just kept going back to the iPhone 5 for how easy it is to just get stuff done.
  • apple have started to push production of the new iphone6 now so if you were looking at one, worth holding out, as it was the ip5 was is generally looked apon by those in the know ass a non upgrade over the 4, and as the waylander said, the OS is as from the Apple tech's them selves Seriously outdated! also worth looking at contract prices for them too! ip5's are in the £40+ month bracket, especially with 4g! 2 year contracts your looking at throwing best part of a grand at it! good ol Jason bradbury from TGS who is an Apple fanboi of all fanboi's was not impressed at all with it and has been heard sayong many times over how he wished he wasnt tied in for 2 years on it, hence why they use a lot of S3's etc on the show and not the iphones!

the wife upgraded through carphone warehouse to an s3mini and got a Samsung tablet free with the deal, - worth noting though that orange get a bit narky about it as its seen as a backdoor upgrade so they stall on the number porting! but she's getting more data, unlimited texts and 600 minutes for £25 a month,

the S4 looks like a Seriously good bit of kit, loads crammed into it, but like you said, its size is a possible issue! yes its great for films, browsing, but its getting to the point of not pocketable anymore! or you'd have to take it out to sit down!

one thing worth a thought though, htc and apple had some issues a while back and as such, on a mac its a real pita to get them to sync contacts etc. i dont know if things have improved since (couple of years ago) but knowing apple, doubtful!

the new blackberry's a nice bit of kit, they suffered as apple are now with the OS becoming Vastly outdated, its all new, and is undoubtedly one of the best phones for communicating out there, its what blackberry do, phones with media capabilities over media devices with communications capability! but contracts are still quite pricey,

have to admit, i do keep looking at a phone that makes calls and sends texts and that only! we get so tied up with them and Needing to do everything etc. Has to be some merit on a payg phone that costs £15!! Tesco payg sims are pretty decent now too, put £10 on and get £30!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Well, I'm actually waiting for my phone to turn up today!
    Went for the Galaxy Note 2 in the end after standing in the shop for about an hour going between it and the S3.

I actually went for a Galaxy S3 eventually, but Tesco wouldn't get it me because my ID didn't match my current address. So I went online, changed my mind (again) and got the Note 2 lmao!

The Note was the one I wanted, but the S3 was the 'sensible' choice so I couldn't decide!

Will be my 1st Android phone, looking forward to it!
  • how you getting on with the note2 fella???
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481