The Crudders 2013 Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comment about good/bad days.
    The difference between good and great is the ability to be consistent. As I said, there are lots of drivers within a couple of tenths but to then be within that time over 50-60 laps is a different thing altogether, its an awful lot of concentration and then the 2-3.5kg weight loss during races which is one of the main reasons 80% will never make it, as you lose fluids your mind wonders and hence you make mistakes. I guess the same as a cyclist is more likely to have an accident through loss of concentration on a hot day covering lots of miles. RB are a great company to work for, everything is slick but easy if that makes sense.
    Living MY dream.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Obviously i wouldnt know exactly how it feels to drive a £1m+ Formula 1 car for 50-60 laps with millions of people all over the world watching you. But ive got a feeling its gotta be one of the hardest things anyone could ever do. The pressure alone would be enough to make me lose 5kg of fluid just pissing myself! There are so many people that think its just get in the car and drive around, and if they come 22nd they are "shyte". They are definitely not "shyte" because they are in a Formula 1 car, and i bet if you put that driver that came 22nd in a Red Bull or Ferrari, it would be a different result. I even never really appreciated how hard it must be for the drivers to drive F1 cars, i saw Rosbergs video on youtube showing the position in which he drives the car, and its absolutely mental! It looks impossible! And when you have 18,000 RPM under your foot with no traction control, brakes with no ABS it only seems to seem more and more hard to drive an F1 car. Every single one of those drivers on the F1 grid are absolute legends for being able to just drive. Not many people appreciate just how hard it is, when you sit down and think about theres so many things that make driving an F1 car something only legends can do. The driving line, controlling the power, braking points, not locking the brakes, not crashing during an overtake, not crashing all together, getting used to the position you drive in, gear changes, the list goes on and on...

It has been my dream for so many years to be working in an F1 team, my dream job would be to be one of those mechanics you see in the garage fixing/tuning the cars. Obviously its only a dream job. But there it is :)

The one thing i love about Red Bull is this: They are a Drinks company, yet they still manage to beat all the dedicated sports car manufacturers and all time F1 legends, like Lotus, Ferrari, McLaren and the rest. Its quite some achievement, and actually quite amusing. :D Red Bull are an absolutely amazing team, VERY consistent and VERY fast/successful. And thats kinda the reason why i dont like them. They always win! :D
  • VTech
    If your really into F1, how about a day touring the factory ?
    I cant promise when but im happy to give you a guided tour.
    Living MY dream.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Maybe in a couple of years, I'm 16 so I won't be allowed. Parents wouldn't let me go down to Milton Keynes
  • VTech
    Maybe in a couple of years, I'm 16 so I won't be allowed. Parents wouldn't let me go down to Milton Keynes

Its an open ended offer, pm me your address (check its ok with your parents first) and ill get a tshirt sent out for you in the mean time.
    Living MY dream.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    VTech wrote:

Its an open ended offer, pm me your address (check its ok with your parents first) and ill get a tshirt sent out for you in the mean time.

Are you grooming him VTech? :)
  • VTech
    I didnt want it to come across that way ;)
    Living MY dream.
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    Anyone seen the small adds on the top right corner :D ? http://sniffpetrol.com/
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    The Malaysian GP was epic.
    Huge mistake by Ferarri not bringing Alonso in with his damaged wing, but hindsight is a wonderful thing...
    As for the Vettel / Weber saga, as David Coulthard said, RedBull never issued an order, at no time did we hear the team actually "instruct" Vettel to remain behind Weber, they made suggestions but there was never a clear instruction.

I pity poor Webber, he is the second fiddle in the team, Vettel is the prodigal son, who's roots hail from Toro Rosso and being so successful at a young age, RBR will always favour him over Mark Webber, who in my opinion is the "nice guy of F1"
    Mercedes' instructions from Ross Brawn to Nico Rossberg were clear and you could sense Ross Brawn's authority in the conscise instruction.
    That is the fundimental difference between Brawn and Horner, Brawn is authorative and respected by his drivers, whereas Horner's "suggestions" were not at any time taken seriously by Vettel.
    I do forsesee more drama between Webber and Vettel, it's going to upset the team, but it'll be great for us F1 fans and will give the F1 press a lot more to write about..

I also feel sorry for DiResta and Sutil who were both sidelined by an integrated wheel nut design, I guess when you're at the cutting edge, the new designs and methodologies can bite you in the butt...

Roll on the Chinese GP, the first two races have been amazing, so I can't make any predictions until we get a hint from the free practise sessions..
  • VTech
    There are lots of transmissions not played in public that denote placements via engine settings and terminology.
    This year will definitely be good for fans. And sky sports :)
    Living MY dream.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    VTech does have a point. I believe Senna rammed his team mate off around the first corner so he could win the championship, since his team mate was the only person that could beat him in that race. (i dont know if this is true or not) If it is, its certainly made no difference, Senna is hailed as an all time F1 Legend! And there is nothing legend like in doing that. (again, dont know if its true or not)

Senna took out Prost because pole position was moved to the dirty side of the grid. The FIA president at the Balastre was French and bummed Prost, hence why senna was disqualified for going down the escape road after a collision with Prost the previous year. Basically Balastre did whatever he could to ensure Senna didn't win and Prost did. It was completely insane what Balastre did and IMO Prost should never have won the four championships he did, one of them was Sennas that was cruely and wrongly taken away from him. He wanted fair racing and was victimized by biased FIA. He stood for fair racing and showed unbelievable compassion for his other drivers, but he had to prove a point that Balastre and Prost couldn't get away with what they were doing. Vettel is a child and when he doesn't have it his own way he will throw his dummy out and be a complete spoiled brat. Alonso was the same at McLaren but I truly admire what he did last year in a far inferior car. Vettel has the best car by a mile and I am sure beyond doubt in the same machinery against Alonso or Hamilton he would crumble. No offense to Mark Webber but he never has and never will be in the same class as those two and until Vettel goes head to head with either Alonso or Hamilton he will always be considered in the same light as Schumacher, good but with a huge equipment advantage afforded by Red Bulls huge budget, money usually buys speed in F1 and Red Bulls budget is far greater than even the likes of McLaren and Ferrari. Such is life and IMO red bull owe their success to their resources and Adrian Newey. No doubt Vettel is a decent driver, but IMO he is nowhere near the driver his titles suggest he is, he was third best driver last year behind Alonso Hamilton and possibly even Raikkonen. The upgrades Newey bought to the car for Singapore and Hamiltons poor luck is what got him the title last year. The facts are there I would say he owes 2 of his titles to luck and one to a far superior car. Vettel has never won a race after starting lower than Third. Stats don't mean everything and is the main reason IMO Schumacher is behind Jimmy Clark, Fangio and Senna in terms of best ever driver.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Paragraphs, man.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Vettel is a child

He's a winner. You don't win by pootling to the line in second. He took the bull by the horns and showed he has the edge to win the race, and the title again. And he will.

Senna would have done the same. Senna was ruthless, and that is why he won.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And as for Schumacher always being in a superior car? Dude your are too young when he moved to ferarri they were one of the worst cars on the grid, he fought tooth and nail for a postition and helped develop a brilliant winning car...

When he came back he may not of been the greatest but in his day he surely was, a complete twat.. but great.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Lawman is so right about Vettels titles.

I dont know why, but ive never really liked Schumacher.

As for Hamilton, i think he made the right choice leaving McLaren. McLarens history is absolutely riddled with poor reliability. Last year the McLaren was absolutely on fire at certain points during the season, and Hamilton drove the car extremely well. It was the reliability that let them down severely. Whats the point in having an absolute rocket of a car when it breaks down spontaneously? If it wasnt for McLarens horrific reliability Kimi could be a 3-4 time world champion. I never actually watched F1 when Kimi raced for McLaren but ive read about it, the amount of times the McLaren failed on him was absolutely ridiculous... That is also why Lotus are my favourite team. They have a VERY reliable car, apart from that one incident that Grosjean had in Valencia with the alternator issue. That was probably Renaults fault because RB also had the same issue, they of course also run Renault engines. Last year Kimi was the one and only driver to finish every single lap of every single race, it could have also been "every race in the points" but his tyres went "off the cliff" in China and he lost out hugely and scored no points. But lets be honest, Raikkonen was absolutely stunning last year, and Lotus gave him a perfect car for the job really. It never failed him during the races. Consistent driving coupled with consistent equipment got him 3rd in the championship. You could argue that it could be because McLaren had poor reliability, but that is their own fault...anyway, back to hamilton. He made the right choice because he seemed only to be falling down the same path that Raikkonen once did. Mercedes i think will be able to give him a decent car for this season. They probably would have sorted out the poor reliability that they had last season. Judging from McLarens past, they will probably still end up on the side again after running in first place...
  • supersonic
    McClaren's history? How many seasons did you watch between 84 and 91?
  • gt-arrowhead
    Im talking about when Raikkonen raced for them, their fairly recent history. I wasnt even born in 91.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Let us just say he was born circ 1997
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    Irrelevant, for the last decade at least they have been plagued by reliability issues and he's right to say this probably played a part in Hamiltons decision to move on. It has cost the team the constructors championship more than enough times.

As for you view on Vettel yes he is a winner due to his unsporting conduct but do you think he deserved it? He only won because Webber turned his engine etc on to a less powerful setting and Vettel didn't so it isn't exactly a win due to skill.
  • supersonic
    Yes, he deserved it. People don't remember 2nd place, and he didn't cheat. If it had have been senna people would be applauding. Good on him, he has fight.
  • bennett_346
    I never liked senna for his attitude. Only cared about winning, even if it meant crudely ruining other people's careers.

I personally would rather be remembered, or not, for coming second and being a good sportsman than coming first and being a kn0b.
  • gt-arrowhead
    supersonic wrote:
    Irrelevant, for the last decade at least they have been plagued by reliability issues and he's right to say this probably played a part in Hamiltons decision to move on. It has cost the team the constructors championship more than enough times.

As for you view on Vettel yes he is a winner due to his unsporting conduct but do you think he deserved it? He only won because Webber turned his engine etc on to a less powerful setting and Vettel didn't so it isn't exactly a win due to skill.

Cheers, the last 10 years or so was the time i was getting at.

And in all fairness to Vettel, i think he actually did the right thing. He isnt in an F1 car to come 2nd. And he wouldnt settle for 2nd knowing full well that he could easily have 1st. And to be honest, most other people would have probably done what Vettel did. Points are points, as we all saw last year, 7 points could very easily mean losing or winning a WDC. So i actually think he made the right move FOR HIMSELF. He did let the team down, that is apparent but i think it was worth the risk from his point of view. He probably had the mentality of "do it now, reap the benefits and face the consequences" if you know what i mean. It would benefit him but he would get a huge loss of respect (especially from webber, and certainly F1 spectators) and the team would most certainly of had a firm word with him. He did go against the teams "orders" but he did make the right choice for himself.
  • VTech
    supersonic wrote:
    Yes, he deserved it. People don't remember 2nd place, and he didn't cheat. If it had have been senna people would be applauding. Good on him, he has fight.

Never a truer word...

In 50 years people won't talk a out how he won, it will just be the way it was.
    Ali, was known for being downright abusive in the ring yet now he is known for being a gentleman who was he best boxer in history.
    Living MY dream.
  • bennett_346
    Yep, i will remember Vettel for years to come. However i'll always remember him as a bit of a t0sser.

Seriously never liked the cocky little kid.
  • Vettel was never told to stay behind Mark... "This is getting silly, that's not an order, just a statement". I don't like the guy but he was never explicitly told to stay behind webber so really I can see why he "misunderstood"...
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • supersonic
    You can have the best equipment, the best support, all the talent in the world - but if you haven't got a giant pair of testicles propping you up in that cockpit, and an innate drive to win then more often than not you don't.

That drive often will garner negative comments at first. I've seen it so many many times (and thought the same myself) with many different sport people. Hendry - boring, cutting, but the best. Tiger - miserable, would throw the toys out - but the best. Phil Taylor - the same. And of course Schumacher. But now I really respect these people for what they have achieved and because of their uncompromising drive. Vettel seems to have that. And I am damn sure in years to come we will be remembering him in the same light as the best of the best.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Get the driven to win thing but Ronnie is better and given the same car I think Lewis is faster.