Question about a wheel

FingersKFF
FingersKFF Posts: 26
edited March 2013 in MTB general
Hi guys

I have a question about one of my wheels. It's a question that stems from a different question though so bear with me!

I've been wanting to have a go at running tubeless for a while but two things were putting me off. Firstly I have two bikes which I swap around based on what I'm riding which means sometimes one can sit unused for weeks. If it's running tubeless and I leave it for a few weeks will the tyre go down and potentially leak?

Secondly I've been having problems with one of my rear wheels where I keep snapping spokes. Since I don't want to keep replacing rim tape each time I've carried on using tubes for now. In the last year I've had to replace about 12 spokes and it's getting to be annoying. The rim is a Custom DT Swiss E440S 26mm on the back of a 6-inch travel full-sus so should be able to handle a lot more than I put it through since I don't ride anything particularly hard.

I can't see any signs of damage to it but does it sound like there is a potential problem with the rim? Should I look at replacing it with something sturdier? Do I just have a bunch of duff spokes that are gradually being replaced?

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All the spokes need replacing in one go and the wheel rebuilding.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Re. leaking air I guess you will get different results with different rim/tyre combo's. I went tubeless about 2 months ago with Hans Dampfs' on Stans Flows with Stans sealant and have not had to top up at all yet. I had the same concern but clearly it's not a problem for my set up. They also both snapped on first time really easily.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Hmm, so next spoke that goes then I'll replace the lot.

Thanks for the input Butterd2, assuming I do a decent job with the rim tape then I shouldn't have to worry about keeping them pumped up all the time. Have you knowingly had any punctures since swapping to tubeless?
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    FingersKFF wrote:
    Hmm, so next spoke that goes then I'll replace the lot.

Thanks for the input Butterd2, assuming I do a decent job with the rim tape then I shouldn't have to worry about keeping them pumped up all the time. Have you knowingly had any punctures since swapping to tubeless?

Not that I'm aware of.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Are the snapped spokes just coming from one side of the hub? IE where the chain would rub on them if it jumped off the back of the cassette? I had that on one of my old wheels, mech wasn't indexed properly for a while and fucked the spokes up. Just replaced a load of the spokes. It's fine now.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Hmm, could be. I seem to think the spokes are all from the same side but can't be sure. I just changed the rear cassette last week and re-indexed everything so I'll see how it goes. I wonder if the derailleur is slightly bent in toward the wheel or something. I didn't notice anything out of place but have had to replace the hanger mount previously when it sheared off.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Find yourself a decent wheel builder that know how to tension a wheel correctly
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • It was done by a proper wheel builder the last two times.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    time for new spokes, at least on the half that they're breaking (non drive side?)