Lift from Edinburgh to Inners for 3rd Enduro

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited March 2013 in MTB general
I wondered if there was anyone on here going down to do the 3rd Innerliethn Enduro from Edinburgh next weekend that had a spare space for a person and a bike? Preferably doing the practice as well but it isn't the end of the world

Standard stuff, split costs fuel etc.

(I would have a car as it seems like a really useful biking accessory, but I am still at Uni so can't really justify it)

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    I know there is a bus from Edinburgh to Glentress that you can put your bike on if that helps?

Just wait til they finish building the train to Galashiels :-)
  • Yacoby
    compo wrote:
    I know there is a bus from Edinburgh to Glentress that you can put your bike on if that helps?
    I use it quite a bit to get to Glentress but it isn't running this weekend (and timing would possibly be a bit too tight as it is only in Glentress for 4 hours)
    Heh. TIL. I didn't even know they were building that. If only they had finished it when they initially said they would (early 2013)
  • compo
    Yacoby wrote:
    compo wrote:
    I use it quite a bit to get to Glentress but it isn't running this weekend (and timing would possibly be a bit too tight as it is only in Glentress for 4 hours)

What a crap service! Better than nothing I suppose

Yacoby wrote:
    Heh. TIL. I didn't even know they were building that. If only they had finished it when they initially said they would (early 2013)

Yeah they're rebuilding the line from Edinburgh to Tweedbank. It used to carry on to Carlisle
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    compo wrote:
    Yacoby wrote:
    compo wrote:

Yacoby wrote:

Yeah they're rebuilding the line from Edinburgh to Tweedbank. It used to carry on to Carlisle

Its not crap, it just isn't going to the place he needs to go. Innerleithen is 5 miles down the road from Glentress.

If you're aware of a better solution for non-car owning mountain bikers in Edinburgh to get to the Tweed Valley at weekends please do let me know.
  • Yacoby
    compo wrote:
    It isn't a bus with a regular schedule quite so much as a method of getting to GT for a couple of hours. Works great if you want to go to GT on a Saturday but don't own a car and it gives enough time to do the red or black.

If you're aware of a better solution for non-car owning mountain bikers in Edinburgh to get to the Tweed Valley at weekends please do let me know.
    I do know someone who cycles there and back. It does take about 1.5 - 2 hours and you probably need to be insanely fit.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bikebus is ace- 4 hours at Glentress is enough for most folks tbh, that's a lap of the black and a lap of the blue if you're keen, though most folks would do a lap of the red and 5 laps of the cake stand... Just, not useful here.

I might be able to help on the sunday- my saturday's kind of chaos because of the red bull hillchasers before practice, so probably can't help there! Drop me a PM, see if we can work something out
    Uncompromising extremist
  • compo
    I said its still good - "better than nothing"

But it could give a bit more time in GT. 4 hours isn't that long really if you want to session things and have a mechanical etc
  • Yacoby
    compo wrote:

But it could give a bit more time in GT. 4 hours isn't that long really if you want to session things and have a mechanical etc
    The red is about an hour or two (depending on faf, fitness and group size). That leaves quite a lot of time for playing around in the freeride park etc.

While on nice sunny days I sometimes wish it was longer, the week before last we spent the last hour in the cafe (It was freezing). I think it is probably a good compromise time wise and I am just happy that the service exists.
  • Northwind
    compo wrote:
    4 hours isn't that long really if you want to session things and have a mechanical etc

Having applied maths to the problem, 4 hours is long enough for pretty much all the riding most people will want to do in a day at glentress. It just isn't long enough for all the eating haribo, standing around watching your mate fix a puncture then realising once he's finished that you also have a puncture, "what tyres for", discussing how badly Scotland got humped in the football by Tuvalu, pushing up the steep bits while telling everyone how great singlespeeds are, etc etc.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • EH_Rob
    compo wrote:
    compo wrote:

As far as I can see you actually said it was "crap". And "better than nothing" doesn't mean "good". It actually has a completely non-cryptic, literal meaning. Sorry to be a bit pedantic, but I completely fail to understand the point you're trying to make, other than suggesting that it is a crap service. Have you ever actually used it?

Yacoby is right - sometimes I wish I could stay a bit longer, but these times are outweighed by the number of times I don't want to climb to the top for a third time and I go for coffee and cake instead.
  • compo
    Okay, I mean it is "good" but "could be better"

Personally, I like to spend longer than 4 hours at a trail centre, I see it as a day out and want to get my 'money's worth' so to speak.

When we did GT we did a mixture of Red/Black and natural stuff and that took longer that 3 and a bit hours.

I've never used it personally either
  • Northwind
    Thing is though, for every person that things 4 hours isn't enough there's probably 2 that think it is, and a service like that's got to work for the majority really. I think he's got it pretty well judged

(also, he gets bonus points for coming out trailbuilding while his passengers are out riding ;) )
    Uncompromising extremist
  • EH_Rob
    I think he only does that when he's sick haha!

It is a tough one to call with the time, but I guess that's the thing - you get all kinds of different ages and abilities using the service, so I guess he's got to try and cater for all of them as best he can. The miserable Scottish weather usually means its enough for me.