Yet another knocked off / hit and run

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited April 2013 in Campaign
I was involved in a collision with a large commercial white van, possibly a Ford transit but couldn't be sure, and didn't get the reg number. Accident happened on the Northbound A488 between the top of Nantgarw hill and the St Cenydd RAB at 19:32 on Monday 25th March 2013. Luckily I was only bruised, as I was riding about 6" from the kerb, and got a glancing blow of the front wing and bumper of the van. The driver slowed, possibly to take a look, then accelerated away and didn't return. The police attended, and there was a witness.
If anyone was in the area at that time and noticed anything I'd appreciate you getting in touch. I can thankfully live with the relatively minor injuries, but much more shocked at the driver's cowardly actions. Had they stopped and checked that I was OK, I'd have just left the police to deal with him/her, and wouldn't bother with any ambulance chasing. Frankly, the least I want it the tw4t in court and coughing up as much compensation as a half decent lawyer can generate. Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel more rational, and of course keep in mind Rule #5

Comments

• ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    get a camera buddy :) tho that time at the night, no camera will pick out the plate.
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    I was involved in a collision with a large commercial white van, possibly a Ford transit but couldn't be sure, and didn't get the reg number. Accident happened on the Northbound A488 between the top of Nantgarw hill and the St Cenydd RAB at 19:32 on Monday 25th March 2013. Luckily I was only bruised, as I was riding about 6" from the kerb, and got a glancing blow of the front wing and bumper of the van. The driver slowed, possibly to take a look, then accelerated away and didn't return. The police attended, and there was a witness.
    If anyone was in the area at that time and noticed anything I'd appreciate you getting in touch. I can thankfully live with the relatively minor injuries, but much more shocked at the driver's cowardly actions. Had they stopped and checked that I was OK, I'd have just left the police to deal with him/her, and wouldn't bother with any ambulance chasing. Frankly, the least I want it the tw4t in court and coughing up as much compensation as a half decent lawyer can generate. Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. I'm sure tomorrow I'll feel more rational, and of course keep in mind Rule #5

You was only bruised and I am guessing your bikes ok as you haven’t mentioned it. Although the driver is a Tw@t you haven’t actually got any damages to claim against him. The only thing you can do is get the police to prosecute for driving without due care and attention and fleeing the scene of an accident.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Although I sympathise over the insident, I feel it neccesary to point out that the minimum distance from the kerb that you should ride is 1m, not 6", as taught to the current National Cycle Training Standard. This would have impressed your presence on the driver, forcing him to think before attempting the overtake. Most collisions are side swipes, as is yours. Very few are rear-enders.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    NITR8s wrote:
    You was only bruised and I am guessing your bikes ok as you haven’t mentioned it. Although the driver is a Tw@t you haven’t actually got any damages to claim against him. ....

Think you will find bruising counts as damages!
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Firstly good to know that you are OK. Hope they find the person responsible, but don,t hold much hope for you i,m afraid.Over here we,ve had a large number of hit and run accidents lately the last one involving 4 Belgian cyclists who were flattened by a motorist.All suffered broken bones and were taken to hospital.
    Here in the Netherlands the law is a little different than in the UK. If you
    have an accident and don,t stop but then within 24 hours report to the police station it,s not classed as hit and run. Personally i think it,s disgraceful that anybody might leave a casualty lying on the road and not offer any assistence .
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura