Race training?

dan1587
dan1587 Posts: 15
edited March 2013 in Amateur race
I have done one race last year and managed to finish but I came last which I wasn't annoyed about becasue I wanted to see what it was like and, it was very hard!

What I am planning on doing is making a routine, which isn't as easy as i'd like at the moment as I work 4 on 4 off so riding in the evening for hours isn't possible but maybe 40mins to an hour is possible.

So, im planning on starting to do a few races at the end of the year, train throughout the winter and do a full season next year. I want to get in a routine now, is there any routines anyone can recommend?

Was thinking about doing 3 rides after work and 1 day off, then on my 4 days off try 2 longer rides and 1 shorter and a day off. Or instead of 2 days off, maybe 1 day and the other day on the turbo?

As I know if I have a routine of some sort I will stick to it rather than not know what im doing until half an hour before I finish work or on my days off until it gets dark and I regret not getting out.

Help and experience would help, thanks.

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    You might have better luck asking this in the training section.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Change your plan... start racing immediately, it's much easier to learn the skills you need to race well when you're weaker than the opposition and get stronger than if you go in stronger than everyone else. Being fitter than everyone else well hide all the mistakes you make so you'll never learn from them. That will make it much tougher later.

Racing is of course great training for racing...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    jibberjim is spot on, its as important to have 'race craft' as it is to be fit,
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    jibberjim is spot on, its as important to have 'race craft' as it is to be fit,

well it's easy to have learnt the lesson that when you have no race craft...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • dan1587
    dan1587 Posts: 15
    jibberjim wrote:
    Change your plan... start racing immediately, it's much easier to learn the skills you need to race well when you're weaker than the opposition and get stronger than if you go in stronger than everyone else. Being fitter than everyone else well hide all the mistakes you make so you'll never learn from them. That will make it much tougher later.

Racing is of course great training for racing...

That makes total sense, thank you.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I haven't had time to train and race for the last 6 months so whenever I've been able to spare a few hours on a weekend I've just raced. Has worked out quite well although overall I think I will suffer when I start doing road races (probably starting this weekend) rather than 30 mile crits. Haven't ridden further than 30 miles since September (last road race)!

There's definitely a lot to be said for racing being very good training for racing anyway.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    This I like..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C38Jp16FMtw

gets me in the mood for Saturday crit and Sunday longer circuit