Stickies

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
Now im guilty of being lazy and asking kit questions that have probably been answered a million times before in buying advise/genreal/beginners, however shouldnt there be stickies for such things as the reelntlessly tedious, 'is it ok to wear' or 'should i wave' in beginners or general? this would alleviate the many many threads on the smae subject, and any thread started sperate to the sticky could be locked straightaway without fuss or recourse as such topics should stay in the sticky.

why dont the mods do that here?

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    ....because the sub forums would start to die. They rely on the same questions being asked over and over again. The knowledge is passed from generation to generation with the older generations (i.e. members who have been here a long time) moving on to different sub forums, occasionally going back to 'help out' the beginners but generally leaving it up to the middle generations.
  • not those to particular bug bears. sure what are the best? or recommend a...? questions can be recycled and asked over and over as things change, new products come on old drop off. but those to banal topics are just pathetic yet people get so bothered about their subject matter.

sure i read such topics with interest at first, but when people keep having the same old tired debate it clogs up the forum imo.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    It would just turn BikeRadar into a dreadfully inefficient, hard to search database. You may as well re-direct the web address to google.

Let's face it, almost everything on here could be found with a google search. Having the beauty of the forum is that it acts as a tailored, bike specific google search with a human touch.

Let it be.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Who bothers reading the stickies there are already?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    nicklouse wrote:
    Who bothers reading the stickies there are already?

What stickies? :wink:

The older I get, the better I was.

• EKIMIKE wrote:
    It would just turn BikeRadar into a dreadfully inefficient, hard to search database. You may as well re-direct the web address to google.

Let's face it, almost everything on here could be found with a google search. Having the beauty of the forum is that it acts as a tailored, bike specific google search with a human touch.

Let it be.

im purely referring to should i wave/jersey etiquette everything else is fine (also helmets too)
  • EKIMIKE wrote:

Let it be.

im purely referring to should i wave/jersey etiquette everything else is fine (also helmets too)
    The problem is there isn't consensus with such questions no matter how straight forward they seem.

It can be irksome that new threads start asking the same old questions which can rapidly degenerate into the same old arguments but as much as I dislike it the boards would be dull without all the discussion.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Even if the OP had a valid point then arguably the filtration exists anyway through having specific and non-specific sub-forums.

If you want to avoid the waving and jersey etiquette threads avoid the generalised sub-forums: 'Road General' 'Road Beginners' and 'Cake Stop'. Presumably you want info such as the best kit to buy, how to repair or install your new kit, or how to ride faster. In which case visit 'Road Buying Advice', 'Workshop' or 'Training' respectively.

Voila. But then you enter another level of tedium concerning wheels, proprietary tools and power meters. :lol:
  • it is a valid point.

road general and cake stop are where its at, i cant avoid them...!

i guess it just annoys me that people worry about such things as jersey etiquette/waving....that and the fact i'm painfully bored at work, cos the sales guys need to pull their fingers out and drum up some deals!