Beckers62
Beckers62 Posts: 66
edited March 2013 in Pro race
I can find the list of teams online, but not a list of who is riding

Can anyone point me to a website that lists who will be starting

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Only 3 riders in the race who have previously won.

I can't see past Cancellara for this one....and PR.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Course means canc CAN ride away from Sagan even if Sagan tries to follow.

Canc has this.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Canc has this.

I think unless Sagan has a chase on at some point, like E3, Canc might have a harder time getting rid of him
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Beckers62
    Beckers62 Posts: 66
    Thanks for the link.

We're over to Amsterdam / Haarlem for the long weekend. Debating going to watch the race.... looking cold to be standing about for hours tho'

I know..... rule #5 :D
  • I think at least one of the 2 cobbled monuments will throw up a surprise winner, I can see a situation where Sagan and Cancellara are marked out of riding for the win, a la 2011. Perhaps Chavanel's "attack and wait for Tom" will finally pay off.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:

Canc has this.

I think unless Sagan has a chase on at some point, like E3, Canc might have a harder time getting rid of him

Agree. Cancellara would be my favourite, but you can never talk in absolutes when it comes to cobbled classics. I think Cancellara will need to pick his moment very carefully, think he'll struggle to simply ride Sagan off his wheel, but then he's done it to a lot of great riders before.

Always a good chance those two will watch each other while somebody else goes up the road.

Weather looks dry and with moderate wind.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    So how come Sagan couldn't hold Canc's wheel on the Kwaremont in E3??
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Errr...I...ummm...Errr...didn't actually watch E3.

I'll get my coat.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • So how come Sagan couldn't hold Canc's wheel on the Kwaremont in E3??

So how come Cancellara didn't just disappear up the road in Strade Bianche?
  • rick_chasey

So how come Cancellara didn't just disappear up the road in Strade Bianche?

Less selective than Kwaremont.
  • iainf72

Because he'd had a long chase on, puncture etc. Lots of wasted energy
  • Less selective than Kwaremont.

So how come Cancellara didn't win in 2011? In fact, if it's that simple, how come he doesn't just win every race that's selective enough?
  • Mind you, Cancellara will probably win with an attack on the Kwaremont now...
  • rick_chasey
    Less selective than Kwaremont.

So how come Cancellara didn't win in 2011? In fact, if it's that simple, how come he doesn't just win every race that's selective enough?

Tbh I still think he would have won had he not broken his collarbone last year. He's phenomenal on the Kwaremont and he gets 3 stabs at it.

Sagan might have followed had he not had to bridge the gap to the first group, but that he had to do tha is indicative of his lack of parcours knowledge. The twists and turns punish that heavily.
  • So will we see a re-run of Roubaix 2011 where a break stays away, no one is prepared to bring it back and put Cancellara back into the race and Cancellara's team isn't strong enough to bring it back. Has Cancellara made a mistake in being too strong at E3?
  • rick_chasey
    With stijn vandenburgh there is always a good chance it will be held together for the favourites.
  • rick_chasey
    Also Sagan has enough ok teammates who will also happily work.
  • Also Sagan has enough ok teammates who will also happily work.

But why do that if come the Kwaremont, Cancellara will just ride away from him?

OK, your Sagan. Or Sagan's DS, what would you do? What would your tactics be?
  • rick_chasey
    What else can you do? Hold it together and put Sagan in the mix.
  • iainf72
    Everyone will watch Sagan and luigi, and I think of Luigi tries to attack and finds himself with Sagan he'll just sit up. But if there are a few people away with him and Sagan, I would expect Sagan would continue to ride
  • I reckon he'll fancy his chances. Cancellara wasn't able to drop him on the Poggio (yes, I know it's not the same climb) and would probably take Cancellara in a sprint. But then would Cancellara take him to the line?

OK, who else other than Cancellara and Sagan?

(Getting quite excited now!)
  • Luigi=Cancellara?

(I can't keep up with these nicknames!)
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Has Cancellara ever finished ahead of Sagan in a sprint? (I can't recall him having done so...)
  • rick_chasey
    Who else? Chava has an outside chance as rver. Stijn Vandeburgh for top 5.

Boonen is a write off.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Luigi=Cancellara?

(I can't keep up with these nicknames!)

Luigi was Cancellaras codename when Fuentes was doping him - or giving him yoghurt?
  • rick_chasey
    It amuses me noone is surprised that Gilbert is rubbish.
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    Heart says G, head says Cancellara, gut says Sagan.

Getting VERY excited, as am off to Gent on Saturday to spend the weekend drinking and watching the race :)
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • rick_chasey
    chrisday wrote:
    Heart says G, head says Cancellara, gut says Sagan.

Getting VERY excited, as am off to Gent on Saturday to spend the weekend drinking and watching the race :)

Wrap up warm.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    It amuses me noone is surprised that Gilbert is rubbish.

He was this time last season as well. Enjoying the off season too much? I think he'll still win a hatful of races this season including possibly a defence of his title which only 5 others have done.

For Flanders I would love to see Geraint or possibly Stannard taking advantage of the two favourites watching each other but personally I think Rick's prediction will prove true.