What wheels to upgrade, premade or custom

Brown sauce
Brown sauce Posts: 111
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hello,

I have just treated myself to a Giant Anthem X 3 29er. I asked my lbs when I bought it what one of the best upgrades are and he said wheels are a really good upgrade and you will notice lots of difference.

So I am looking at spending around £500 and was looking at Mavic's just bcos I had read good reviews about some. But then my friend is a pro cyclist and he mentioned about getting some hand built.

So hand built means I pick for example some hope hubs and ztr rims and gets shop to build them for me is that right? Is there a major difference from doing that to just buying a pre made pair from Mavic. He mentioned that pre made ones can be expensive if u break them.

Thanks
2015 Stanton Switchback
1993 Kona Lavadome

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    It's the proprietary parts on factory wheels that are the problem: they're not as easily available to replace and cost more. Even something as seemingly simple as a straight-pull spoke can be hard to find without a few weeks notice if you're unlucky. With a handbuilt wheel you can fit pretty much any kind of spoke/rim/nipple if you have to and you're ready to go again. Have a look at places like actionsports.de. They do a good range at good prices. For your budget I'd be thinking DT 240 hubs on something appropriate.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Agree with all of the above. DT240s on your choice of Stan's rim. Done.
  • Brown sauce
    Awesome, thanks for the replys. Never heard of either of those makes due to never looking into custom wheels before. Looked at the bits you mentioned and bloody hell they're light. Just specked out quickly some 240's with ztr crest rims and they're looking like they're going to be much lighter than the Mavic's I was looking at for a little bit more money.

Thanks for the help
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DT swiss comp DB spokes would add about 380g on a 26 (bit more for a 29er), brass nipples 60g (both for 64 - 2 wheels worth).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What do you want them to do? An anthem's a really versatile bike, you could put superlight racy wheels on and it'd make sense, or you might want to use it a bit harder and stick something more durable on.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Brown sauce
    Im more of a cross country stamina type than downhill racer. So going to go for "superlight racy". Had a chat with John at http://www.justridingalong.com/ and he was really helpful. He really listened to all of my questions and spent loads of time answering them.

I'm going for American Classic hubs,DT swiss supercomp spokes with ZTR crest rims. I also wanted to upgrade my rear cassette to an XT one which he is going to get in and fit for me.

Just got to wait a few weeks till I have been paid.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Im more of a cross country stamina type than downhill racer. So going to go for "superlight racy". Had a chat with John at http://www.justridingalong.com/ and he was really helpful. He really listened to all of my questions and spent loads of time answering them.

I'm going for American Classic hubs,DT swiss supercomp spokes with ZTR crest rims. I also wanted to upgrade my rear cassette to an XT one which he is going to get in and fit for me.

I'd second that. And strangely, I went for exactly the same set-up when I bought my wheels from them almost 2 years ago.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Is that strange? They make consistent recommendations...

Good choice, nice and light!
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190

I've got the same but 26" and from JRA too, you'll save loads of weight where it's important.

My freehub broke in the 1st year, JRA picked it up, fixed and sent back all FOC.

Excellent service from them.
    Guinness for strength
  • Brown sauce
    Cool, yep ordered today. Actually went for arch rims for a bit of extra strength but heavier by about 70 grams per wheel. Went for the same otherwise that I was going to go for. Can't wait to get them and get out on them. Went for all black with blue nipples.

That's great that they repaired your hub for free. I have heard nothing but good comments about them.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I ve soem Stans Arch rims (from Superstar, not as rich as you! ;) ) and I'm a big fan. Enjoy!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver