Cricket

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
Im watching the test at the mo, hence the suffit of crap threads started by me. ho hey

anyway, does anyone else like or play cricket here? if so how much of a cricket tragic are you, club, county, country.

Comments

• markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Love it,dont play now to old.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    there is only one thing more mind numbing to me than watching cricket, that's watching television :D

oh and golf...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    team47b wrote:
    there is only one thing more mind numbing to me than watching cricket, that's watching television :D

oh and golf...
    What about watching cricket on tv? :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • i find those critical of a sport are those who are crap at it and got picked last at school for it!! :lol:
    hecne my hatred of athletics
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    I enjoy a bit of cricket. I've never played properly but have played in work teams and the like - can't bat to save my life, I blame this on very bad imbalance between my eyes, but fancy myself as a bowler until I play proper cricketers and get smashed all around the place!

I like watching too, particularly Test cricket. I used to go and watch Glamorgan whenever possible in the summer holidays years ago.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    i find those critical of a sport are those who are crap at it and got picked last at school for it!! :lol:

I was good at cricket so was always picked first, so HAD to play it whether I liked it or not, that's why I hate cricket, and don't get me started on having to do the scoring sheet! :D

@ Frank - I don't own a TV so can only imagine how dull it must be :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    i find those critical of a sport are those who are crap at it and got picked last at school for it!! :lol:

I was good at cricket so was always picked first, so HAD to play it whether I liked it or not, that's why I hate cricket, and don't get me started on having to do the scoring sheet! :D

@ Frank - I don't own a TV so can only imagine how dull it must be :D

in the 16 or so years i played since i was a little kid, till i retired from the game a couple of years ago, i never once did the scoring! i always managed to be somewhere else when it was my turn.

umpiring was another matter though, had i got out already, nothing more fun than holding the hand of fate over your teammates! especially as cricket clubs are some of the most petty, vindicative, backstabbing environments you can care to imagine!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    All you cricketers out there - what was the best bit of sledging you saw/heard/experienced?
    My mate's teenage lad used to play for the 1st at a local cricket club, he got a right bollocking off his mother for the sledging she could hear him come out with from the boundary rope.
    Got this mental picture of Mrs Marsh giving young Rodney rock all. :lol:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I Don't like Cricket. Oh no.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i love and adore cricket with an absolute passion. i used to go to watch kent county cricket club at canterbury whenever i could when i was a tacker, used to sit at the boundary edge, get autographs (i had cowdrey, sobers etc). i could easily sit through a five day test without being bored. i wont pay sky for sport coverage so miss out mostly now but listen to the radio commentary. i get up to taunton when i can to watch somerset with my son who now shares my love of the game
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    5 day test matches looked too boring my my liking. Too strategic and not enough action.

Then one day I walked past Headingley cricket ground and saw batman and a ninja turtle on an all day drinking session sat out in the sun watching the cricket.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I LOVE IT
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    team47b wrote:

oh and golf...
    What about watching cricket on tv? :lol:
    Try listening to cricket on the radio :D 198 long wave.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    My favourite memory from my playing years was when an ole timer was umpiring, ball hits the pads and he appeals before the bowler - then, after some thought, he says 'not out'.
  • i think we will survive
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    What an amazing result from NZ overnight... Real nail biting stuff!
  • perversly i wanted NZ to win in the end. england deserved nothing and history will now show them drawing when they were abject, and should by all rights have lost.

If NZ had had a tiny bit of luck, and the useless aussie brownlie not dropped another key catch they would have got there deserved win, and it would have caused us to buck upp our ideas a bit more and not be so complacent.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Engalnd didn't deserve to get a draw out of that test, but a tied series was a pretty fair result.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • disagree, i feel NZ bossed this test, were in in a strong position in the 1st, and were slightly behind in the 2nd.

NZ deserved the series. still we will spank them and the aussies in the 'summer'
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Three tests lasting 15 days final score 0-0 :lol: No wonder it's never took off in USA, they always have to have a winner. :lol:

I don't mind cricket, unless you're an connoisseur it only gets really interesting at the business end.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • i admittedly struggle to avidly watch tests, however im quite happy dipping in and out. or listening to TMS on a fine lazy summers day.

also if you actually go to a test or county championship game, and its nice hot weather, and you are with your m8's its basically an excuse to get slowly sozzled. the cricket is just a distraction.

if its a one dayer or T20 then (apart from the middle overs of a one dayer) its watchable all the way through but you have to drink quicker and its more raucous, which is good when your in the mood.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Big cricket fan here. My brother and I have even been known to come home from work, go straight to bed and then wake up at 1am (or whatever time) to watch as much play as possible before going to work. I will watch any international game that is likely to be a good contest and all forms (test, 1 day, T20). I also go to county cricket matches (home games involving any of Surrey, Sussex and Kent). Having said that, I don't play competitively. Instead, a bunch of us from work do regular trips to the Oval for net sessions, which are extremely enjoyable and a fun way of getting to know your workmates better.

Cycling is my number one sport, but cricket is a close second.
  • you wanna come north of the river and pay a visit to the 'delights' of 'fortress chelmsford' rather than all that southern rubbish!
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    you wanna come north of the river and pay a visit to the 'delights' of 'fortress chelmsford' rather than all that southern rubbish!

Chelmsford is on the list for this season. It always seems to have a brilliant atmosphere and a capacity crowd.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I was a total dunce at it at school as I had no hand eye coordination. I started playing Squash a bit when I was 16 and then was asked to join the work team a few years ago. I discovered I had a bit of a talent (at the village cricket, excuse to go to that bar, level) at batting and played a few seasons there (20/20 rearranged into 15/15 with 8 ball overs to maximise drinking time). That and listening to the 12th Man a bit rekindled my interest in it and I quite enjoy it now...

It's an interesting point about School Sport too as I'd have been much better doing basic hand/eye stuff when I was a nipper but as it was if you werent good enough for the year's 1st XV, XI, other XI or whatever then you were labelled "rubbish at sport" and forgotten about.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • squired wrote:
    you wanna come north of the river and pay a visit to the 'delights' of 'fortress chelmsford' rather than all that southern rubbish!

Chelmsford is on the list for this season. It always seems to have a brilliant atmosphere and a capacity crowd.

for brilliant, read p*ss*d up! (well for day night t20's at least)