GW changes and race *spoilers*

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    Johan Museeuw winning Roubaix and pointing to his leg?

Bartoli, I think it was, walking across the line holding up his bike?

Those ok by you?

It was Simeoni, after winning a stage at the Vuelta;

simeoni_app2001092700149_600.jpg
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I believe that Simeoni's walk across the line celebration was done as a tribute to the victims of the 9/11, so slightly different circumstances.

Consider me firmly in the "they won, they can celebrate however they want" camp.

Impressive from Sagan, though they rest of that group deserve a slap for basically giving up, really annoys me when that happens.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • andyp wrote:

Those ok by you?

Nah, there was a much earlier one
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    ddraver wrote:
    How the hell did you celebrate?!?!?
    Me? I did a cartwheel followed by a curtsey and then pulled a 'nah nah nah nah' gesture at the people coming in behind. Yes, I know! It was really bad. I'm actually embarrassed typing that. I might as well have done a moonie, that would have pushed the headteacher off her perch.
    If Sagan did that then it would be disrespectful. I think the difference is that Sagan's gestures appear to be celebrations to entertain the crowd, rather than to taunt his competitors.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    thegibdog wrote:
    If Sagan did that then it would be disrespectful. I think the difference is that Sagan's gestures appear to be celebrations to entertain the crowd, rather than to taunt his competitors.

That's exactly what Sagan said last year. He's just doing it to amuse the people watching.

If he got off his bike, took a dump on a piece of newspaper and then hurled that result at the peloton, that would be unacceptable.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    But anything less that that is good? ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,103
    iainf72 wrote:
    That's exactly what Sagan said last year. He's just doing it to amuse the people watching.

If he got off his bike, took a dump on a piece of newspaper and then hurled that result at the peloton, that would be unacceptable.

I reckon he shits solid gold nuggets.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I have no issue with his celebrations, or any celebrations really. I will only object if he has a baby and goes over the line doing the Bebeto "rocking the baby" celebration as seen at the 1994 World Cup final.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    No probs with the celebration, great crowd pleaser. Pulling a wheelie on a road bike is a pretty skilfiul trick. Kissing you biceps, rocking a baby, sucking a dummy is just being a tw@t
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    andyp wrote:

Those ok by you?

He's doing that for the sponsor though.. that's different :wink::mrgreen:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    edited March 2013
    Sometimes I can't believe the posts on this forum.

This guy has raced 3 tough races in 8 days through some seriously horrible conditions. For 500 odd kilometres he has chased down breaks, marked his rivals, attacked and sprinted. He was beaten in the sprint at MSR and was very respectful to the winner when interviewed. He hasn't complained about the conditions and has kept going when some of the sport's supposed hard men packed and whined to the media. He is the only rider to have been involved at the business end of all 3 races.

Today he got arguably the best win of his career so far and celebrated with a wheelie across the line.

The Internet Forum People call him a tw@t.

Seriously folks?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571

This guy has raced 3 tough races in 8 days through some seriously horrible conditions. For 500 odd kilometres he has chased down breaks, marked his rivals, attacked and sprinted. He was beaten in the sprint at MSR and was very respectful to the winner when interviewed. He hasn't complained about the conditions and has kept going when some of the sport's supposed hard men packed and whined to the media. He is the only rider to have been involved at the business end of all 3 races.

Today he got arguably the best win of his career so far and celebrated with a wheelie across the line.

The Internet Forum Person or two call him a fool.

Seriously folks?

corrected.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

Seriously folks?

Not only that, he celebrated with a wheelie for the amusement of fans who had stood in freezing conditions for hours to watch a bike race. What a bastard he is.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,385
    I think most of us are taking it a bit less seriously than that TWH (some exceptions I know).

Most of the rest of us like them, apart from AtC who clearly has serious childhood issues about finish line celebrations and thus can be excused. ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    In other business I'm seriously considering an "Aren't OPQS making a right pig's ear of the classics and doesn't Cav deserve more support" thread.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,571
    In other business I'm seriously considering an "Aren't OPQS making a right pig's ear of the classics and doesn't Cav deserve more support" thread.

First part is worthy of discussing.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

You go ahead and do that. I will be the first to contribute with the fact that OPQS have 15 wins this year (more than any other team), they lead the tables in points, they had the World number one until recently, Cavendish has six wins which is more than any other racer apart from Sagan who also has six, the Classics have just started and the conditions don't really lead to an even playing field.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Think it's too early to write off OPQS's classics season...

Cavendish might still win Scheldeprijs.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm just jealous as I can't pull much of a wheelie on any kind of bike, let alone a one handed wheelie on a road bike after winning a big race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    hammerite wrote:
    I'm just jealous as I can't pull much of a wheelie on any kind of bike, let alone a one handed wheelie on a road bike after winning a big race.

How about a no handed wheelie up a 20% gradient:
    sagan-wheelie-angliru.png?w=500
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    afx237vi wrote:
    Not only that, he celebrated with a wheelie for the amusement of fans who had stood in freezing conditions for hours to watch a bike race. What a bastard he is.

This is completely correct, of course. The idea that a professional rider would be "disrespected" (in real life), by Sagan's celebrations is nuts. He's the genuine box-office article, and if I'm I'm a rider, I'd like potential sponsors to be seeing as much of him as possible. As fans, we are freed from the grubby reality shackles and can indulge whatever flotation devices we favour.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472

Seriously folks?

Excellent post. For some reason I'm not a big fan but he is showing all the hallmarks of being a great racer of his generation. I'm not sure the bicep kissing is entertaining but ultimately he has earned the right to celebrate however he wants. The showiness of his celebrations certainly doesn't come across as a big ego when interviewed, he seems quite humble. He's a marked man and yet still manages to win. Roll on next Sunday and hopefully a great race between two riders who are often too good for their own good. Would love G to spoil the party though!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    hammerite wrote:

tumblr_mdnl8eRfb91rrxhj7.gif

Witchcraft!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Seriously folks?

Can't argue with that.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    hammerite wrote:

He is the absolute bollox, isn't he? 8)
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    afx237vi wrote:

Seriously folks?

:lol: That did make me laugh.
  • tailwindhome

You go ahead and do that. I will be the first to contribute with the fact that OPQS have 15 wins this year (more than any other team), they lead the tables in points, they had the World number one until recently, Cavendish has six wins which is more than any other racer apart from Sagan who also has six, the Classics have just started and the conditions don't really lead to an even playing field.

Were you to respond in such a fashion I would wonder why you were quoting statistics with little relevance to the thread title.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Barbie certainly wasnt best pleased yesterday

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/haussle ... -breakaway
  • His group stayed away to the finish, what's he moaning about?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent