GW changes and race *spoilers*

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I think with age he will stop that stuff.

tumblr_mk6cynNBBh1qacyk6o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mk6d12R5lj1qacyk6o1_r1_500.jpg

You may be right Frenchie.

Mr Gilbert on the other hand when it comes to dress sense seems to be regressing... :wink:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who got the minor placings?
    And here are the top ten finishers today:

1 Peter Sagan (Svk) Cannondale Pro Cycling 4:29:10
    2 Borut Bozic (Slo) Astana Pro Team 0:00:28
    3 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
    4 Heinrich Haussler (Aus) IAM Cycling
    5 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
    6 Matthieu Ladagnous (Fra) FDJ
    7 Bernhard Eisel (Aut) Sky Procycling
    8 Stijn Vandenbergh (Bel) Omega Pharma-Quick Step
    9 Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) RadioShack Leopard
    10 Andrei Amador Bipkazacova (Crc) Movistar
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • above_the_cows
    I just like to see people bring a bit of fun to a sport which can, at times, be a bit earnest.

Aye, it can be a bit earnest, I think that's why I like it. :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    This may of course be because as a child I was taught this the hard way. I was grounded by my parents and suspended from the school team after I showed off after winning a cross country running race.

Ahh Ja! Now ve see ze root of ze pwoblem
    Sigmund-Freud-9302400-1-402.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ddraver wrote:
    This may of course be because as a child I was taught this the hard way. I was grounded by my parents and suspended from the school team after I showed off after winning a cross country running race.

:lol:

Did you go that school in Kes?

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ddraver wrote:

You Vant to love your muzzer!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    I'm going to sound FF like, but a rider of Boonen's stature and looks should not wear a helmet akin to the one I wore when I was 5.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Are people really moaning about Sagan celebration? He won a hard bike race, he can celebrate however the hell he likes (within reason obvs).

Same people moaning about Sagan enjoy watching Luigi win with such seriousness. I know which one is taking the p*ss more...

*runs and hides*
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

Ahhhhhh! What have I started! :D

images_zpsc39721a1.jpg

I'll tell you more, they didn't just suspend me from the team, they stopped me going to the Under 13 National Champs, but now I'm showing off. I remember crying and telling them that there would be no one representing the school, that the school should be honoured and that not letting me go was stupid. "This school is older and bigger than you my dear" was the response from the headteacher. :oops:
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I agree that Sagan needs to grow up a bit with these celebrations. Without doubt he's a huge talent and a great rider, but with these celebrations it makes him lack some "class" if that's the right word. I'd love to see another rider do a silly celebration to him if they beat him man on man.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    ddraver wrote:

Ahhhhhh! What have I started! :D

images_zpsc39721a1.jpg

I'll tell you more, they didn't just suspend me from the team, they stopped me going to the Under 13 National Champs, but now I'm showing off. I remember crying and telling them that there would be no one representing the school, that the school should be honoured and that not letting me go was stupid. "This school is older and bigger than you my dear" was the response from the headteacher. :oops:

So, perhaps if Peter Sagan was to burn your old school down then he could continue his extravagant celebrations without any more objections :wink:
  • I'd love to have seen that celebration. I hope it was worth it.

On a similar note, an old club of mine had a pair of brothers who had a bit of a Frandy thing going on. They went 1-2 in a road race and, on crossing the line, the winning brother shouted "F***ing get in!" and got DQ'd.

Then they DQ'd his brother for being an accessory to swearing or something.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    I'd love to have seen that celebration. I hope it was worth it.

On a similar note, an old club of mine had a pair of brothers who had a bit of a Frandy thing going on. They went 1-2 in a road race and, on crossing the line, the winning brother shouted "F***ing get in!" and got DQ'd.

Serious?

Pfft.

I once got fined for swearing over the cox box, but then again it was in front of the biggest crowd on the river, and of the children of the boat I was abusing ahead of us.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Why/how are they disrespectful?

Winning is great. Winning is enough. I feel that showing off when winning is disrespectful. For me it cheapens the victory. I want to like Sagan, I think he is extremely talented but I just can't actually like him when he acts like that. He's the kind of guy you see all the time acting like a show-off in a bar and you just know to avoid them.

Its kind of an interaction with his fans I think.. much like a celebration in Football.... but then agian perhaps football isn't a sport that should be followed as an example :mrgreen:
  • ddraver
    How the hell did you celebrate?!?!?
    - @ddraver
  • I'd love to have seen that celebration. I hope it was worth it.

Serious?

Pfft.

I once got fined for swearing over the cox box, but then again it was in front of the biggest crowd on the river, and of the children of the boat I was abusing ahead of us.

They were deadly serious. I think they marked Brother no.1's card a few months earlier when he took a lap out of a road race (a 14km lap incidentally) with a puncture and then, on rejoining, attacked off the front and contested the sprint.

Sadly, I think they both just packed in after that.

@gietvangent
  • rick_chasey
    Hmm.

To be honest, if you don't like to hear swearing, sport generally might not be the best pasttime for you.
  • Hmm.

To be honest, if you don't like to hear swearing, sport generally might not be the best pasttime for you.

BUt if you're an over-officious busybody, organising sport is the best.

@gietvangent
  • above_the_cows
    LutherB wrote:
    So, perhaps if Peter Sagan was to burn your old school down then he could continue his extravagant celebrations without any more objections :wink:

My friend's mum still works there, so only if we could ensure her safety... :wink:
    I once got fined for swearing over the cox box

Rick, but as a cox you got to wear a headmic and pretend you were Madonna... No, only a teenage girl thing...? :oops:
    Its kind of an interaction with his fans I think.. much like a celebration in Football.... but then agian perhaps football isn't a sport that should be followed as an example :mrgreen:

Ah you see I really dislike football for similar reasons.
  • rick_chasey
    Hmm.

BUt if you're an over-officious busybody, organising sport is the best.

Modding forums is alright for that too.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

Me? I did a cartwheel followed by a curtsey and then pulled a 'nah nah nah nah' gesture at the people coming in behind. Yes, I know! It was really bad. I'm actually embarrassed typing that. I might as well have done a moonie, that would have pushed the headteacher off her perch.
  • ddraver
    I'd love to have seen that celebration. I hope it was worth it.

Serious?

Pfft.

They were deadly serious. I think they marked Brother no.1's card a few months earlier when he took a lap out of a road race (a 14km lap incidentally) with a puncture and then, on rejoining, attacked off the front and contested the sprint.

Sadly, I think they both just packed in after that.

I can't blame them, that is frankly absurd! It's that sort of bullsh1t that makes cycling so ridiculous sometimes!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Me? I did a cartwheel followed by a curtsey and then pulled a 'nah nah nah nah' gesture at the people coming in behind. Yes, I know! It was really bad. I'm actually embarrassed typing that. I might as well have done a moonie, that would have pushed the headteacher off her perch.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I love it! Wish I'd seen that!
    - @ddraver
  • "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    ddraver wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: Now that's a celebration - great stuff!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I'm going to sound FF like, but a rider of Boonen's stature and looks should not wear a helmet akin to the one I wore when I was 5.

576922_10151406443873434_667561425_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Pah - you ride away from your main classics contenders and cross by yourself, you can paint yourself lime green and ride over the line playing with yourself for all I care. However, if you're Gerrans and you've hidden behind everyone else and leapt out for the last 2m and try that sort of stunt you can sling your hook.

Good win Sagan - marker laid down...
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841

Nah... This is the gold standard! Classic you-tube link coming right up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNJN8DW3dbg

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    ddraver wrote:

Expect to see Sagan mimick this in homage if he wins next Sunday!
  • above_the_cows
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Expect to see Sagan mimick this in homage if he wins next Sunday!

He'd better be careful I pulled a muscle doing the cartwheel.