GW changes and race *spoilers*

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited March 2013
    Looking at that photo again I am pretty confused by the guy on the left in the full face balaclava and batman hat?!

Big fluffy earmuffs are not very masculine. What's wrong with a skull cap or woolly hat.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited March 2013
    Lovely echelons right now.

These cross winds are really keeping the pace down. Only covered 8k since hey switched to the race.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Not much better than seeing echelons as far as the eye can see.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ^^^^^^

Or most likely, It's a bit of a laugh isnt it....think the problem is with Frenchie here not Gilbert..
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    EBH riding even more flat backed than usual this year?
  • frenchfighter
    Gilbert is trying to make up for it by not wearing gloves.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Hasuler and a BMC rider not wearing gloves either. No idea how they can possibly do that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    As far as Gilbert is concerned there isn't much further to fall after those leg warmers.

Breaking up all over the place!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Just confirmed that with the wind chill factor it feels like -15 degrees out there now. One of the motor riders said he,s never experienced it so cold.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I used to ride with someone in Scotland who refused to wear gloves all winter. He reckoned it was hellish for half an hour then your body realised it needed to get the blood flowing to the hands and respond.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    It's total chaos. I like it,
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • above_the_cows
    edited March 2013
    Only 10 k covered in 20mins. :shock:
  • frenchfighter
    edited March 2013
    The riders from team Sky were enjoying the warmth of a coal fire before facing the cold wind on the start podium in Deinze. British champion Ian Stannard (Sky) was amongst the group who actually seemed to have fun with the circumstances. Back in 2010 the young Brit first gained notice when he finished third in a hellish edition of Kuurn-Brussel-Kuurne. This year Stannard continuously colours the finale of the spring classics.
    “It’s not that I fancy this weather. I prefer to stay inside, rest assured. I’m doing well nowadays simply because I made progression as a rider. All these tough races do make it hard to recover and I felt that in the E3 Harelbeke,” Stannard told Cyclingnews.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    They're going through Eecke - a little town just by Yikes and Zoinks. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • frenchfighter
    andyp wrote:
    I used to ride with someone in Scotland who refused to wear gloves all winter. He reckoned it was hellish for half an hour then your body realised it needed to get the blood flowing to the hands and respond.

It could be true although I find it hard to believe given your body effectively lessens blood flow to extremities when it is freezing to protect your vital organs. Even with gloves your hands can be freezing and never seem to warm up.

I guess the feel of the bars on your hands when racing can make up for the cold in them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Looking at that photo again I am pretty confused by the guy on the left in the full face balaclava and batman hat?!

Big fluffy earmuffs are not very masculine. What's wrong with a skull cap or woolly hat.

Have they just finished the harlem shake?
  • frenchfighter
    If I was a rider, I would seriously consider pulling out in case I get an injury or cold from the conditions. Flanders on the 31st - doesn't take much to take you out of it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Group of three with Flecha have 45 seconds.
  • frenchfighter
    While queuing up in front of the start podium with his teammates Sep Vanmarcke (Blanco) talked with Cyclingnews about the difficult circumstances. Teammate Maarten Tjallingii said he felt like a marionette. “We’re just here to entertain the VIP’s. They don’t care about us,” Tjallingii said. Vanmarcke was more realistic. “What do they want, a race cancellation? Then sponsors might pull out and next year there might not even be a race. We can’t only race when it’s at least 10°C. The conditions are what they are, unpleasant but it could be worse,” Vanmarcke said.
    Last year’s winner of the Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is recovering from a knee injury but felt ready for these races. “It hurts but the doctors assured me that’s normal. In the E3 Harelbeke my instinct told me to go with the move on the Taaienberg but I went over the limit and didn’t recover in time for the next climb,” Vanmarcke added.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • If I was a rider, I would seriously consider pulling out in case I get an injury or cold from the conditions. Flanders on the 31st - doesn't take much to take you out of it.

If I was your boss, I'd seriously consider sitting you out for the rest of the spring if you did!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • The gap to these 3 seems to be going out really quickly!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    They're going through Eecke - a little town just by Yikes and Zoinks. :lol:

Thought it was in Yorkshire, and was paired with a dutch town named Thump? :lol:
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Mind you, the peloton dont look bothered... Stannard and Pip having a crack on the front.

@gietvangent
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Lunchtime.Sky look like Ninjas out there.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    It would make more sense to hold these races in the Middle East.

Only a matter of time before some oil shiek with too much money builds a fake version of Flanders in the desert!
    Then it would definitely be a Chipper.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Had to stop watching to have lunch, is the Flecha trio the lead group? They always look like a club run in their winter kit!
  • Earmuffs are GO!

Gilbert tries to force a selection, strangely early.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    GW11: Stannard was in a four man move for 30km then went solo with 2km to race but was caught with a few hundred metres to the finish.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Earmuffs are GO!

Gilbert tries to force a selection, strangely early.

He just wanted to get first dibs on the sandwiches. :wink:
  • BMC send another off the front. Plan brewing?

@gietvangent