Race day etiquette

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited March 2013 in XC and Enduro
Ok guys, so I have my first race tomorrow (hopefully, might not be able to get there if this snow doesn't let up) ... I was wondering if someone could give me the normal rules and procedures for race day? What is the etiquette? What about things like getting punctures, do I just stop where I am and fix it or what?

All advice welcome :-)
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• hold the line. stay in the pack. keep breathing. chew on something. carry a lot of water. wear a base layer. wear glasses. wear a helmet. ride efficiently. know your threshold. don't worry about punctures. Don't forget it's a race.
  • just to name a few. Maybe list the things you're most worried about..

only to forget about them.
  • Kerrmit1992
    Why wouldn't I worry about punctures? Place puncture could ruin your day lol

I'm more worried about what I do when I arrive and what I do in the event of having to make repairs or fix punctures, the cycling part its self is not an issue :-)

I didn't realise you raced in a pack in mountain bike races? Thought that was more of a roadie thing?
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Turn up
    Sign on in the registration tent
    Check your start time.......then double check ;)
    Head out and practice the course and watch out for those already racing (won't be an issue though if you head out early)
    Get to the start line with plenty of time
    Then RACE!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You don't get packs in MTB racing don't worry. If you get a puncture you do as when you're riding - you get off the trail and you fix it. Why would it be any different?

A race is no different to normal riding, just marginally more competitive!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    @WRC you can get a big bunch at the start depending on how many are listed to start and it can take a while for it all to calm down.

As for the P question just as you would on a normal ride but try and get yourself out of the way so if on a corner make sure your nice and wide and preferably just before the corner so those behind can see you well in advance.

Generally as for procedures just turn up and sign in you'll get your numbers (if not posted out to you) and they will tell your or its on a board the start time for you race. Get to the start in plenty of time and your away, but if you get time to ride the course before if its open for warm up would suggest you use that to get used to any difficult parts, but if its not open don't worry about it.

Oh and lastly enjoy your race no matter what the weather!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Are you the guy who won the beginners race ??
  • Kerrmit1992
    I have no idea mate, I just finished the race and packed up haha, maybe should have checked :-) lol
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Turn up
    Head out and practice the course and watch out for those already racing (won't be an issue though if you head out early)
    Then RACE!

That's bad etiquette, right there!
    There are times allotted for practice. Riding the course during someone else's race is just pig ignorant :evil:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    That is a bit harsh as it depends on the event. Not all races have time allocated for practice riding. With Gorricks and Southern XC you can do a practice lap whenever you want, although always best to try to schedule it when the course is quiet.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Jason +1, plenty of races allow you to practice whenever you want. Stay out of the way and its not remotely ignorant! :roll:
  • Dave_P1
    hopper1 wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Turn up
    Then RACE!

There are times allotted for practice. Riding the course during someone else's race is just pig ignorant :evil:

No it's not!! For the events that I've entered in the past, Gorrick and Southern XC, this is how it works.
    Perhaps you've raced some events where the structure is different, if that's the case why don't you post your expierences to help the OP rather than knocking other people! :roll:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Turn up
    Then RACE!

No it's not!! For the events that I've entered in the past, Gorrick and Southern XC, this is how it works.
    Perhaps you've raced some events where the structure is different, if that's the case why don't you post your expierences to help the OP rather than knocking other people! :roll:

Ah, my apologies, fella!
    Never seen it before, so thought it was a piss take, but, if that's how your local races are run, then I stand corrected.
    To the OP, check first about practice rides. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Dave_P1
    hopper1 wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:
    Dave_P1 wrote:
    Turn up
    Then RACE!

Ah, my apologies, fella!
    Never seen it before, so thought it was a wee-wee take, but, if that's how your local races are run, then I stand corrected.
    To the OP, check first about practice rides. :wink:

No worries dude :)